It is quite fascinating that a small rubber band used in our day to day life can actually perform few confusing, but simple magic tricks, charming everyone around. It is the size and elastic nature of the band that acts to its advantage and makes it a flexible prop to perform tricks from. A magician or a person who is proficient in hand tricks can twist and turn the rubber band to perform several small tricks. Rubber band tricks work especially well for kids who tend to get absorbed in the performance. Such is the interest that at the end of the performance, you would surely have a bunch of kids curious to learn the trick. This article will provide you with simple rubber band tricks for you to learn and use to entertain kids and guests, at a small gathering.
Simple Rubber Band Tricks
The Jumping Rubber Band
Effect: In this trick a rubber band will mysteriously jump from your small and ring finger to the index and the middle finger of the same hand.
Materials Required: A rubber band, you can even use a hair band rather.
- Hold your hand up straight with the back facing the audience. Wrap the rubber band around your little and the ring finger of your left hand. Let it rest at the base of your fingers.
- Next step is to stretch the rubber band with your right hand. Insert the little, ring, middle and index fingers of the left hand into the stretched band.
- Rest your fingers in the rubber band against the palm, holding the band against the fingertips.
- You should be able to open all your fingers straight to make the rubber band jump to your index and middle finger. If you are not able to do so, read the instructions once more and try the trick again.
- You can make the rubber band jump back to the little and ring finger by following the same steps.
Jumping Rubber Band (using 2 Rubber Bands)
Effect: In this magic trick one rubber band jumps from the little and ring finger to the index and middle finger and the other rubber band jumps from the first two fingers to the last two fingers.
Materials Required: Two rubber bands of different colors. You can even use a hair band.
- Hold your hand naturally up with your back of the hand facing the audience. Wrap one of the rubber bands around your little and ring fingers, with the rubber band resting at the base of the fingers. Similarly, coil the other band around your index and middle finger making it rest at the base of the fingers.
- Stretch the rubber band on your first two fingers towards the small and ring finger with your other hand.
- Hold the second rubber band through the stretched rubber band. Pull the second rubber band through the first rubber band at the same time; place all your fingers in the loop of both stretched rubber bands. You are performing the same steps of the basic rubber band trick; only difference being you are doing it twice, in opposite directions.
- If you understood the instructions properly and have performed the trick properly then both set of fingers will get enhanced in two loops. Once this happens, all you need to do is to open your hand straight to make the bands jump from one set of fingers to another.
Jumping Rubber Band Advanced Version
Effect: This trick is an advanced version of the simple magic trick. In this trick one rubber band switch place between the fingers and the other appears to block the first rubber band from shifting position.
Materials Required: Two rubber bands of different color.
- Hold your hand in the same way in the other rubber band tricks, straight with the back of the hand facing the audience. Wrap one rubber band around your little and the ring finger with the band resting at the base of the fingers. Loop the second rubber band at the top of your little finger.
- Now, twist the second rubber band back and forth to loop it around the tip of all the fingers.
- Place your thumb in the loop and close your wrist to put the first rubber band in the middle and the first finger. This is how you can switch the first rubber band from the first position to the second position even though other rubber band is entangled in all the fingers to block the movement.