Don't you just love when your dad marks all his professional as well as personal letters with his own stamp? Have you ever wished to have a rubber stamp of your own, with which you could mark all your personal items? Approaching your dad to get a rubber stamp made for you doesn't look too appealing, right! So, what to do now? Simple, make a rubber stamp of your own. Yes, you read that right. It is perfectly possible to create a stamp as a DIY project. In case you need any help in this regard, go through the following lines and find step-by-step instructions on how to make your own rubber stamps.
How To Create A Rubber Stamp
- Rubber Eraser
- Tracing Paper
- Marker or Pen
- Carving Tool, such as a craft knife
- Small Block of Wood (slightly larger than eraser)
- Rubber Cement
- First of all, you will have to decide on the pattern that you want to use on your rubber stamp. If none of the available templates appeal to you, you can draw one on your own.
- You can also search the internet for likeable patterns. In case you like one, download it and save for future use.
- In case you have the stamp pattern on paper, scan the image onto your computer. Now, use a photo editing program to create a mirror image of the pattern. If you use the image directly, it won't come out right as a stamp.
- Now, place a sheet of tracing paper over the mirror image of your stamp and secure it with a tape, on the edges. This way, the papers will not move. Next, trace the pattern over the tracing paper.
- Get the eraser and making use of the marker and the tracing paper, outline the pattern directly onto it.
- In this step, you will have to decide on the part of the pattern that you want to be seen on paper. With the help of a marker, color in the rest of the eraser.
- Making use of the carving tool, you have to cut away every part of the eraser that has been colored.
- Turn over the eraser and spread rubber cement on its entire surface and then attach it to the center of the block of wood.
- Keep the rubber stamp at a place where it is unlikely to be disturbed, to let it dry completely.
- Your rubber stamp is now ready. You can use it to mark all your personal items.
- After every use, make sure to clean your stamp thoroughly and then let it dry completely, before storing again. This will help prevent cracking.
- Always make use of a closed container to store the rubber stamp. It will prevent the eraser from becoming too dry.
- When using rubber cement to stick the stamp pattern, make sure to be in a well-ventilated area, as the fumes may cause harm.