A rainbow is basically an arc of spectral colors, which is distinctly identified as red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. The red color can be seen on the outer part of the arch, while violet on the inner part of the arch. Usually a rainbow is seen just after a rain shower. These colors appear in the sky opposite to the sun, due to the refractive dispersion of sunlight in drops of rain. A rainbow can be caused by other forms of water as well, like mist, spray and dew, apart from rain. Children are really fascinated to see this phenomenon and eagerly wait for the rain. However, you can bring that smile on your child’s face by making a rainbow in the interiors of your house as well. If you wish to know how to make or build a rainbow, read on further.
How To Create a Rainbow
Water Glass Method
- One of the easiest ways to make a rainbow is the water glass method.
- For this, fill a glass with water.
- Place the glass on a table, in front of a sunny window.
- Now, place a sheet of paper on the floor. The color of the sheet should be light, preferably white.
- Use hot water to wet the window.
- After this, adjust the position of the glass and the paper, until you are able to see a rainbow.
- Another method of creating a rainbow is the mirror method.
- For this, place a mirror inside a glass full of water.
- Ensure the room is dark and has white walls.
- Shine a flashlight into water, moving it around until you see a rainbow.
- You can a build a rainbow using the CD Method also.
- For this, take a CD and wipe it clean, to make sure it is not dusty.
- Now, place it on a flat surface (the label side should be down), directly under a light or in front of a window
- As the light falls on the CD, you will see a rainbow forming around.
- Hold the CD in between your fingers and move to see how the colors move.
- Take a piece of white paper and fold it in half.
- Using a pair of scissors, cut a small triangle in it.
- Fill a glass, preferably a fishbowl, with water.
- Use a tape to fix the flashlight on the hole of the paper.
- Turn on the flashlight directly to the glass of water, keeping the paper above the flashlight bar.
- You will soon find a rainbow appearing in the water.
- Get a water hose and turn on the tap.
- Create a mist by placing your finger over the water hose.
- Turn the hose towards the sun, to see a rainbow forming in the mist.
- Try this method on a bright sunny day and see the smile on your kid’s face.