Artichoke is the name of a vegetable originating in southern Europe, around the Mediterranean. It can be described as the unopened flower bud of a thistle-like plant, which is available almost throughout the year. While many people are aware of the existence of a vegetable known as artichoke, very few of them actually know how to cook it. It is keeping in mind mainly the latter category of people that this article has been written. Go through the following lines and get complete instructions on how to cook artichokes, on a stove.
Cooking Artichokes On Stove
- Lemon Juice
- Large pot
- Cutting Board
- Heat some water in a pan and add ½ tsp salt in it. Now, put the artichokes in the salty water, submerging them completely.
- Remove the artichokes from the salty water after an hour. By this time, they will be devoid of any dirt and other foreign substances.
- Now, you need to prepare the artichokes for cooking them. For the purpose, place them on a cutting board and use a knife to cut the bottom stem, in a way that the artichokes are flat and can sit upright in a pot.
- The next step will comprise of removing the outer leaves of the artichoke, near the bottom. Dispose them off, since these leaves are quite rough and not suitable for consumption.
- Use the knife once again, this time for cutting off an inch of the top of the artichokes.
- Making use of a pair of scissors, snip the top of the remaining leaves. With this, you will take off the spikes from the leaves of the artichokes, making them easier to eat.
- Take a pot and put all the artichokes inside it, in a way that they are next to each other. In this step, you will only make use of those artichokes that can stand next to each other, in one layer.
- Remove the artichokes from inside the pot and set aside. In the meantime, add 4 inches of water to the pot, along with a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Place the pot in flame and bring the water to a boil. As soon as the boiling starts, put the artichokes back into the pot and cover the latter with a lid.
- Turn down the heat to medium-low and allow the artichokes to simmer in the water, for 30 minutes.
- After the half-hour is complete, remove the artichokes from the pot and allow them to drain, by placing them in a colander.
- Your artichokes are cooked now and ready to be eaten. Serve them along with butter and lemon juice.
- The best way to eat your artichoke is by taking off each leaf, starting at the over base. You have to dip it in the melted butter and lemon juice and then use your teeth to pull the base of the leaf and scrape off the edible portion. The rest of the leaf is not meant to be eaten and should be discarded.