Tired of cooking potatoes the same way time and again? Want to try out something different this time? Why not steam them up, combine them with butter and relish their wonderful taste? Yes, you guessed it right. We are talking about steamed potatoes. Not only are they easy to make, but also require very less amount of time and retain all the nutrients inside the dish. At the same time, in this case, the potatoes do not become soggy, unless what usually happens with boiled potatoes. Want to know more? If yes, then go through the recipes given below and know how to make steamed potatoes.
Steamed Potatoes Recipes
- Potato Peeler (optional)
- Steam Pot, with steaming insert and lid
- First of all, you will have to clean the potatoes thoroughly, by washing them with water.
- If you want to steam the potatoes without skin, you can peel them with the help of a peeler.
- In this step, you will use the knife to cut the potatoes into equally sized pieces, so as to ensure even cooking.
- Get the steam pot and add ½-inch of water to the bottom. Now, place it on stove burner and keep the heat on high.
- After placing the steaming insert inside the pot, place the potatoes in it and put on the lid.
- Bring the water to boil and then let the potatoes cook in the boiling water, for approximately 20 minutes.
- Now, remove the lid from the pot and prick the potato with a fork. If they seem fork-tender, turn off the heat.
- Take the potatoes out of the pot and serve them along with butter, salt and pepper. You can also use them in some other recipe.
Steamed Potatoes With Garlic Sauce
- 4 large potatoes (about 1¼ lbs) unpeeled
- 2 heads Garlic
- 2 tsp Skim Milk
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Nonfat "Butter" Granules
- 2 tsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Wash the potatoes with water, to remove all the dirt and dust. Thereafter, cut them into half.
- Take a medium-size saucepan, place a steamer basket in it and add 1-2 inches at the bottom, not allowing it to reach the bottom of the basket.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid, place it over medium-high flame and bring the water to boil.
- Now, add place potatoes in steamer basket and scatter the unpeeled garlic cloves around them.
- Cover the saucepan once again and steam the potatoes for 20 minutes, until they become fork-tender.
- Now, remove garlic cloves from the pan and peel them. Discard the skin and mash the pulp along with milk, oil and butter granules.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan, cut into bite-sized pieces and serve with a dollop of garlic sauce, parsley, and pepper.