Tortilla is a round and flat-shaped bread. Commonly linked with Mexican food, it can be found in most of the American and Spanish speaking countries. Highly nutritious, tortillas are made of maize, corn or wheat flour and are used for making enchiladas, burritos, wraps, soft tacos and quesadillas. Though tortilla is a traditional Mexican cuisine, people are, now, making it a part of their daily diet. One such variation to tortillas is the spinach tortilla. Delectable and delicious, spinach tortillas are very simple to make. They can be served as appetizers, side dishes or even main courses. Read through the following to find different recipes to make a perfect spinach tortilla.
How To Make Spinach Tortillas
Easy Spinach Tortilla
- 9 oz fresh Spinach (cooked & chopped)
- 1 tbsp Water
- ¼ cup Oil
- Garlic Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (for seasoning)
- 2 cups Flour
- Take a large mixing bowl and combine together flour, garlic salt, pepper and oil. Mix well.
- Add spinach and water.
- Knead the mixture well for smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Place a large non-stick pan for heating.
- Flour a flat surface lightly.
- Roll out each dough ball into a thin circle.
- Place the rolled out spinach tortilla in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side till it turns brown.
- Remove and serve hot.
Spinach Tortilla Rolls
- 1 cup fat-free Cream Cheese (softened)
- 2 tbsp Green Onions (sliced)
- 4 low-fat Whole-Wheat Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup fresh Spinach (chopped)
- ½ cup Low/ Nonfat Monterey Jack Cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup Green Chilies (chopped)
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Mix together cream cheese and green onions in a small bowl, until well blended.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture into four parts and spread on each flour tortilla.
- Divide spinach, Monterey Jack cheese, green chilies and red bell pepper into four equal portions and top each tortilla with it.
- Starting from the narrow end, roll up the tortilla and wrap in a plastic foil.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the tortilla rolls from the wrap and place on a serving platter.
- Cut each tortilla into 6 to 8 pieces. Secure each piece with a toothpick.
- Serve with salsa.
Cheese and Spinach Tortilla Melts
- 75 g Baby Spinach Leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 Green Onion (finely chopped)
- 50 g Feta Cheese (crumbled)
- 2/3 cup Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- 1½ tbsp Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 4 Flour Burrito Tortillas
- Take a mixing bowl and combine together baby spinach leaves, green onion, feta cheese, Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese. Mix well.
- Add pepper and mix well.
- Preheat a sandwich press.
- Place a tortilla in the sandwich press.
- Spread half of the spinach mixture on the tortilla.
- Place another tortilla on top.
- Cook till the tortilla turns golden. Allow it to stand for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture and tortillas.
- Slice into wedges and serve.
Spinach Feta Personal Pizza
- 1 8-inch Flour Tortilla
- 2 tbsp Pizza Sauce
- 10 fresh Spinach Leaves
- 1 Roma Tomato (sliced)
- 1 tbsp Feta Cheese
- 2 tbsp low-fat Mozzarella Cheese
- Turn on the oven broiler.
- Grease a cookie sheet with margarine and place the tortilla on it.
- Toast the tortilla lightly on both sides in the broiler.
- Top the tortilla with pizza sauce, spinach leaves and tomato slices.
- Spread feta cheese and mozzarella cheese over the topping.
- Broil for a few minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve hot.