There are so many ways of preparing a certain food item, deep-frying, shallow-frying, roasting, baking, boiling, and so on. Then, there is yet another option, that of smoking. Smoking a food item gives a very different taste altogether and does not require too much butter/oil, making it a healthy food option. On top of that, you can easily make the smoker at home, without much expense. In case you want to know how to build a food smoker, check out the tips given below. They will provide you all the information related to homemade food smoker.
How to Make a Food Smoker
- Corrugated Cardboard Box
- 2 Wooden Dowel Rods, 1/4 to 1/2 inch
- Oven Rack
- Electric Hot Plate (at least 750 watts)
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Hardwood Chips
- Battery-operated Fan
- 2 Probe Thermometers
- First of all, you need to find a heavy-duty corrugated cardboard box. It should have the dimensions of 4 feet by 2 feet or less. It should not have any interior printing.
- After you have managed to get the cardboard box, cut a flap hole near its bottom. However, make sure to leave the flap attached on the bottom side, to serve as a hinge.
- On the two opposite sides of the box, puncture two holes, with each one of them being one-third of the way down from the top and 1-2 inches away from each side of the box.
- Now, take the two dowel rods and slide them through the holes, in a way that they are parallel to each other and extend 2-4 inches on each side.
- Take the oven rack and place it on top of the dowels. The electric hot plate, on the other hand, will be placed at the bottom of box.
- While positioning the hot plate, make sure to turn it, so that the controls remain accessible and the electric cord extends through the open flap.
- Take the wood chips and soak them, for at least one hour, to make sure that they produce optimal smoke.
- Take the iron skillet and fill it with soaked woodchips. Now, place it on the hot plate. Remember to adjust the temperature on the device to high.
- Insert one probe thermometer into the bottom third of the box. It will help monitor the air temperature near the heat source.
- The item that has to be smoked should be placed on the tray.
- Place the second probe thermometer into the food, through the side of the box.
- Set the temperature of both thermometers probes at 150 degrees F.
- Place the fan on the bottom of the box and turn it on.
- Now, close the box and let the smoking process begin.