‘My life is over’! ‘The first strand of grey hair, I’m finished!’ These are amongst the reactions you get to hear from people who start experiencing grey hair. Getting grey hair can be so frustrating! The moment you notice the problem, you start running around, visiting hair specialists, purchasing dyes, trying out conditioners, and even taking medications, just to find a remedy to cover up the hair. Grey hair can especially be devastating for those who are still in their youth and well away from even maturity, forget about old age. Whatever it may be, grey hair is a sign of aging and for the people who want to cover it up or get permanently get rid of it, there are plenty of options available. Nevertheless, what needs to be kept in mind is that in the urgency of covering up grey hair, one should not fall for cheap hair dyes or other hair care products and damage the hair instead. To help you out of the problem, we have listed a few tips below, which will let you know how to cover up grey hair.
Tips For Covering Up Your Gray Hair
- Consult a professional beautician, if you have grey hair and want to cover it up. He/she will know what is best option for your hair, as in whether to use a temporary dye or go for a permanent one.
- You can yourself treat your grey hair, by using different products available in the market. Keep in mind that little research is always advisable before using any such product.
- People having grey hair should increase their intake of vitamin A and B. Dark green vegetables, yellow fruits, bananas, tomatoes, yogurt and wheat germ should be at the top of their diet list.
- Intake of zinc, copper and iron should be increased. Red meat, chicken and green vegetables contain zinc; while iron is found in eggs, apricots and sunflower seeds. Copper is found in cashews, almonds, egg yolks and whole grains.
- Having buttermilk will help restore body’s ability to produce its natural hair color, and will also prevent any further graying of hair. A glass of buttermilk mixed with 2 tsp yeast and 2 tsp wheat germ will keep the hair healthy.
- Lemon juice, when mixed with gooseberry powder and applied on the scalp, will help cover the gray hair.
- Boil some dried gooseberry pieces in coconut oil, till the latter turns black. Now, let it cool down and apply it on your scalp, for a few days continuously. This will show wonderful results.
- Grated ginger mixed with honey is a good solution to treat gray hair. One teaspoon everyday will show desired results.
- Apply onion paste on the scalp everyday, before a bath. This will gradually turn your grey hair black.
- Sesame seeds also help in getting rid of grey hair. Eat sesame seeds daily and apply sesame oil on the scalp, to cover your grey hair.
- Boil some dried ridge gourd in coconut oil, till it turns black. Use the oil to massage your scalp and hair roots.
- Regular application of henna paste, an hour before taking bath, can help cover up your gray hair.
- Mix one tablespoon of table salt to a cup of strong black tea, without milk. Massage your scalp with this solution and wash your hair after an hour.
- Grind neem seeds and apply on the scalp daily. Use boiled neem leaves to wash hair; this helps grey hair turn black.