Kitchen is the place from where we get food that provides us nutrition and keeps us alive. For preparing this food, utensils are required, which are nothing more than instruments that let us maneuver foodstuff in ways our hands can't. Without utensils, such as pots and pans, knives and ladle, it would be almost impossible to make delicious food items in the kitchen. Before cooking anything, you need to decide the types as well as the style of utensils that you will require. Right from the material of kitchen utensils - stainless steel or wooden, to their number - two knives or three, lots of answers need to be arrived. However, throughout the process, it is necessary to remember the space in your kitchen, your requirements as well as your budget.
Different Kinds Of Kitchen Utensils
The main types of utensils that are used in a kitchen have been listed in the following lines:
One of the most essential utensils in the kitchen comprises of the knife. Whether you have to slice the bread, cut the chicken or chop the tomatoes, a knife is indispensable. Different types of knives are used for different purposes and different foods. So, you will have to decide the type of food you usually use and how it is cut, before buying knives for your kitchen. Multipurpose knives that do a number of tasks are a good option.
Cutting board is the flat surface that you use for slicing, chopping as well as mincing food items. Using a cutting board ensures that the working with knife doesn't leave scratches on other kitchen surfaces, such as countertop. It is advisable for you to buy two boards - one for vegetables and one for meat. Instead of plastic or glass, go for wood board, as it is more hygienic and doesn't damage the knife.
Can opener is one of the essential kitchen utensils, whether you live on 'ready to eat' food items or not. Cans are used for carrying such a wide variety of eatables that most of the people end up using the opener at least once a week. Depending on your budget and the space available in your kitchen, you may go for a manual or automatic opener.
Pots and Pans
Pots and pans also make up an essential part of kitchen utensils. In case you are building up your kitchen for the first time and do not know much about utensils, it is better to go for a kit, with a variety of pots and pans, of reasonable quality. With time, you will come to know what different pots and pans are used for and which ones you will require for your work. Thereafter, you can go for individual pots and pans of greater quality, which are much more expensive.
Buying Kitchen Utensils
- The first thing that you need to consider while buying utensils is the space available in your kitchen. Include the space available in cabinets, drawers, cupboards and any other storage space.
- Next, you need to check your budget. It will be a major determinant of the type of utensils you will buy, apart from the major ones, as well as their number.
- Take into account your needs as far as utensils are concerned. Investing in something that you use once a year, that too only for the sake of using, is definitely not a sound decision.
- Quality is very important when it comes to kitchen utensils. Even though they are expensive, quality products are what you should seek. They will last for a long time, without needing replacement every now and then.
- Finally, take into consideration the décor of your kitchen. You don't need to go overboard, but matching the color of utensils with the ones used in kitchen isn't too difficult.