There are many reasons why single dads should go for dating. One of the most important is that your children cannot always fill that emotional vacuum. There is always the need of a friend or that someone special, to whom you can turn your heart out. Being a dad does not stop you from wanting someone to care and share your life with. In addition, a single dad requires someone to help in the children’s upbringing. That is why dating is very necessary, as only through dating can you know who is best for you and your children. While dating as a single dad, you are bound to face a few problems, many of which will come from your children. However, the latter is natural, as the kids would not like a competitor in your affections and this is the way they are going to view a new woman in your life. However, some patience, understanding and care can go a long way in helping you cope up with this area of concern. In general also, the rules of dating for single dads are a bit different from those pertaining to single men. To know more, go through the article and explore some dating tips for single dads.
Dating Advice For A Single Father
- First and foremost, inform your children that you are going around with someone. Be prepared for any objections and try to convince your child against the objection. Break the news in a friendly manner and give value to their suggestions.
- Most often, children resent their father's dating, because they think that it may dilute his love for them. They feel that now they will have to fight for their father’s affection. So, you need to assure them that your date can never take away your love for them. Make them feel that now, instead of one person loving them, there will be two people who will care for them.
- Single dads have different priorities than single men. They have the added responsibility of their children as well. So, if the date doesn’t like their children or their children do not like her, it is the perfect recipe for disaster. That is why, it is better to be practical. For your long-term happiness, you should go for a woman who gets along well with your kids.
- Be prepared for emotional blackmail from your children. They will have the ability to make you feel guilty and may use it as a stick as well. Learn the difference between concern and guilt. This will help you in making sure that you or your children do not suffer unjustly.
- Remember that your children depend on you. So, try as much as possible not to make them feel lonely. On the other hand, don’t overdo it. Maintain a balance, so that neither your date nor your children feel neglected.
- Make dating an opportunity to select the best partner. When you date for an extended period of time, you will come to know whether your date is suitable for your children or not.
- When dating, always remember not to let the shadow of your ex-wife darken the atmosphere. Don’t let your date come to the conclusion that you have not gotten over your ex-wife.
- If you are serious about the date, introduce her to your kids. One good way is to invite her over to your house for dinner. In this way, you can get to know if they get along well or not. So, you can decide whether to proceed with the relationship or not.
- Don’t keep on talking about your kids. Respect her priorities as well. Naturally, on a date she would expect you to talk of something else, even try to know more about her. Remember once again, balance is the key here.