“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2, 3.
The above quote forms the basis of the Daniel fast diet. This diet is followed by thousands of Christian and Jews across the world as form of spiritual enlightenment rather than a desire to lose weight or maintain health. This diet is a partial fast depending on vegetables and water. The origin of this diet can be traced back to the biblical lore of Daniel. According to the legend when Daniel and his friends were taken as slaves, he was ordered by the King Nebuchadnezzar to eat from the king’s table. Daniel objected to it as the Babylonian diet does not follow the Jewish diet. So, he said to the king that he and his friends would only eat those foods that conform to the Jewish religious tradition. Daniel also asked for a time period to follow the plan after which the overseer can compare them to the other slaves. At the end of the test period Daniel and his friends were found to be stronger and fitter than the other slaves. The modern Daniel fast diet was popularized by Rev. Elmer Townes, and it is slightly adapted from the original diet followed by Daniel. The main purpose of this partial fast diet is to bring the person closer to God and bring physical and mental upliftment. The strict avoidance of meat and dairy products prove that feeding on animal life is not a thing that God would confer His blessings on. This diet proclaims that like God rewarded Daniel with strength and glory for not eating foods that He forbade, so anyone following this diet would be rewarded by God. Given below is the Daniel fast diet plan so that you can follow it accordingly.
Daniel Fast Diet Plan
Foods That Should Be Included
- This diet includes all the fruits. The fruits can be taken fresh, frozen, juiced, canned or dried. The most important fruits that you can take in this diet are tangelos, apples, raisins, apricots, oranges, bananas, watermelon, mangoes, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, guava, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, nectarines, papayas, plums, peaches, pears, cherries, pineapples, prunes, raspberries, tangerines.
- The Danish diet also includes all sorts of vegetables. The vegetables can also be taken either juiced or canned. They can also be taken fresh, dried or frozen. If you are not allergic to soy then you can also have veggie burgers. Some vegetables that are excellent for this diet are artichokes, potatoes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, parsley, leeks, Brussels sprouts, corn, cabbage, squashes, carrots, kale, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, watercress, collard greens, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, yams, zucchini.
- You can also include all types of nuts and seeds like cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds and sesame. Butters made from nuts can also be included.
- Legumes like beans, peas, lentils can be taken either canned or dried.
- You can also include all types of vegetable oils like olive, peanut and canola.
- The beverages should be limited only to water.
- You can also include salt, spices, tofu, vinegar, and herbs.
Foods That Should Be Avoided
- In Danish diet, all forms of meat and animal products must be avoided. Beef, pork, lamb, poultry and fish should be avoided.
- Even all dairy products like cheese, milk, butter, cream and eggs must be avoided.
- You should also stay away from all forms of sweeteners.
- Leavened bread (containing yeast and honey) should be avoided as well as baked products.
- The diet should be free from artificial flavorings, additives, chemicals, refined flours and artificial preservatives. White rice should also be avoided.
- Deep fried foods like chips and fries, and high fats like margarine and shortening should also be avoided.
- All forms of beverages including tea, coffee, carbonated and energy drinks should be avoided.