The Mediterranean diet plan aims at providing you with a rich nutrition and a healthy lifestyle. It aims at your all-round development, as it is considered to be very beneficial for health. The Mediterranean diet is essentially a nutrition model, which has been inspired by the traditional and conventional dietary practices of the countries located in the Mediterranean basin. This diet plan relies heavily on nutrition derived from fresh fruits, vegetables, olive oil and even red wine. It is considered beneficial because of the fact that it is low in saturated fat and has high amounts of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fat.
Mediterranean Diet Meal Plan
Mediterranean diet plan goes on for 6 weeks at a time, though you can continue it all through your life. Olive oil is used as the chief ingredient for the food consumed, as per the diet plan. One can find olive oil in large quantities in the food thus prepared, mainly because of the fact that it contains cancer fighting properties and many health benefits as well. Many people tend to think of this as a weight loss program, which it is not. Essentially, Mediterranean diet plan focuses on cutting down the unnecessary fats. It basically helps an individual reach the optimum weight level, depending on age, height, gender, etc.
Mediterranean Diet Food List
Mediterranean diet food list is essentially based on the food pyramid. The top of the pyramid contains meat, chicken and such food items. As we go lower, to the broader base, we cover food items such as dairy products, oils, fruits, vegetables, etc. To know more, check out the complete food list of Mediterranean diet.
- Fish and Seafood
- Fresh Fruits
- Olive Oil
- Red Wine (in moderation)
Benefits of Mediterranean Diet Plan
- Since Mediterranean diet plan involves cutting down on unnecessary fats, overweight people lose extra pounds and tone down.
- Reduced risk of allergies has been reported by people following the Mediterranean diet.
- Foods included in the diet plan contain antioxidants and negligible cholesterol. Therefore, by following this diet plan, the cells of the body are protected from any damage caused by free radicals.
- Mediterranean diet plan reduces the risk of heart disease and prevents blood clotting too.
- One can effectively stay away from cancer and stroke, by following the diet.
- Since the foods included in Mediterranean diet plan are naturally high in fiber content, they aid smooth bowel movement and reduce constipation.
- Eating foods from the diet plan helps one maintain a stability int he blood sugar levels.
- Mediterranean diet reduces the risk of food intolerance.
- According to the latest study, following the Mediterranean diet plan helps one cut down the risk of health problems caused by the consumption of commercially prepared food, on a regular basis.
- Foods in the Mediterranean diet plan give a lot of energy to the individual, thereby giving a greater sense of well being.