Lemon Diet, also known as the Master Cleanse Diet, is basically a short-term detoxification diet introduced by Stanley Burroughs. The basic aim of this diet is to help you cleanse your body of all the toxins and impurities. At the same time, it gives a rest to the digestive system, so as to reenergize it. It is quite similar to a juice fast and has to be followed for a minimum of ten days. Though there is, as such, no limit on the maximum number of days the diet can be undertaken, it is not usually recommended for more than 40 days.
Lemonade Diet Plan
In the Lemonade Diet, a person consumes only fresh lemon juice, purified water, grade-B maple syrup and cayenne pepper. These things are the sole source of energy for those who follow the diet. Along with this, you also need to drink a salt-water flush every morning and drink a laxative tea every evening. Apart from these, the only beverage you can have while following the Lemonade Diet is peppermint tea. Check out the recipe of the lemonade consumed in the Master Cleanse Diet.
- 1 glass water
- 2 tbsp Grade-B maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/6 tsp Cayenne Pepper
Mix together all the ingredients and one glass of lemonade is ready to drink.
Breaking the Fast
After following the Lemonade Diet for atleast 10 days or even longer, the person undergoing it will break it and resume his usual diet. However, one needs to be really careful while doing this. There is a strict regimen for ending the diet. For the first 36 hours of ending it, you should consume only fresh citrus juices. Over the course of the next three to five days, you should gradually start having raw vegetables and fruits or cooked vegetable soups. Then, start eating the usual foods, adding one thing at a time.
There are a number of minor side effects of following the Lemonade Diet. The main reason for the side effects is that the body gets devoid of solid food and finds it difficult to get along without them. The result is the following short-term side effects.
- Cravings for solid food
Lemonade Diet Tips
- Every individual has different capacity and can undertake the diet for different length of time. Recognize the symptoms of your body and follow the diet only till the time your body allows you to.
- If you want to follow the diet for more than 10 days, it is advisable to do so under a physician's care.
- Make sure to drink the minimum amount of the lemonade in a day. You need the calories to get through the diet.
- Take water in sufficient quantities, throughout the diet. This will help you keep fully hydrated.
- Lemonade diet should not be undertaken more than 3-4 times in a year, with a gap of 3-6 months between two stints. Remember, the minimum gap of 3 months is utmost necessary.