Stuffed cabbage is one of the awesome non-vegetarian dishes, which are rich in flavor and taste. While almost all of us love to gorge on it, there are very few people who would actually take the pain of preparing it, thinking it to be a difficult task. However, you would be surprised to know that making stuffed cabbage is extremely easy, once you have all the ingredients handy and a little time to invest in. Now, are you wondering how to make stuffed cabbage?If yes, then you would be pleased to see the delightful, yet easy recipes given below.
Easy Stuffed Cabbage Recipe
- 1 medium-sized Cabbage
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 cup Rice, cooked
- 1 Egg
- 1 can Tomato Juice
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp White Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Powder to taste
- The first step would be to place cabbage in a large pot and add water to cover it. Leave it on high flame heat for about 15 minutes.
- Once the cabbage gets boiled, drain the water and allow the cabbage to cool down. Remove the hard outer veins from the cabbage leaves.
- Take another large bowl and put beef, rice, egg, garlic powder, salt and pepper in it. Mix well, until the mixture has properly blended.
- Now, place a large spoonful of the beef mixture on the center of a cabbage leaf and fold leaf over, tucking in the sides of the leaves, to keep meat mixture inside. Repeat the process with the other leaves as well.
- Once all the leaves have been filled with the mixture, pile them up in a large pot, placing the bigger leaves in the bottom.
- Add to the bowl of cabbage rolls, tomato juice, vinegar and sugar. Pour enough water to cover.
- Allow it to simmer over medium flame, for about 60 minutes. Make sure that the bottom leaves do not get overcooked.
- The yummy stuffed cabbage is ready to be gorged upon!!
Traditional Stuffed Cabbage
For Sweet & Sour Tomato Sauce
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, smashed
- 1½ quarts Tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For Cabbage Rolls
- 2 large heads Green Cabbage, about 3 pounds each
- 1¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- Splash Dry Red Wine
- 2 tbsp Fresh Flat-Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 pound Ground Pork
- 1 large Egg
- 1 1/2 cups Steamed White Rice
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- For the sauce, take a saucepan and pour in olive oil. Heat it over medium flame. Now, add garlic and sauté for a minute. Add tomatoes and cook until the oil separates, stirring occasionally.
- Add vinegar and sugar and simmer, until the sauce thickens. Season it with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
- In a skillet, pour 2 tbsp of olive oil and heat it. Sauté onions and garlic until they turn golden yellow. Pour in the tomato paste, a splash of wine, parsley and 1/2 cup of the prepared sweet and sour tomato sauce. Blend the mixture well.
- Now, in a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat egg, cooked rice, and sautéed onion and garlic mixture. Toss the filling to combine and season with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Boil salted water in a pot. Cut out the core of the cabbage and place it in the pot. Cook until the leaves get soft. Now, cut the center vein from the leaves, so that they become easier to roll up.
- For the cabbage roll, take a boiled cabbage leaf and fill it up with the meat mixture. Tuck away all the sides and seal the mixture inside.
- Now, in a casserole pan, place the cabbage rolls side by side, in rows. Pour the remaining sweet and sour tomato sauce over the rolls.
- Keep the casserole pan in a preheated oven, at about 350 degree F. Drizzle the top with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Bake for 1 hour, or until the meat gets cooked.
- The delicious traditional stuffed cabbage is ready to be served!!!