- Lifestyle Lounge
- Gadgets & Gizmos
Junk email or spam is an odious and undesirable byproduct of the internet’s success. Sometimes, you might feel that sending spam is a simple marketing strategy but it is more than that. Most modern computer viruses spread through email attachments. You might not realize that an apparently harmless message might often contain malware, virus, or a spyware that can turn your computer into a zombie. If a viral spam is activated it can steal data, and sensitive information from your computer. It can also use your computer to spread more viruses. Another threat of spam mail is ‘phishing’, which is to steal information and other personal details by posing as a trustworthy source. Bulk spam clutter your inbox and deleting spam everyday can prove to be highly irritating, as you have to spend a lot of time in figuring out the real mails from the spam mails. The use of anti spam measures can minimize the junk in your mailbox, and also shield your privacy on the internet. Many a times even if you have anti-spam measures in place, a lot of these spams still make it to the mailbox. So, you will have to adopt various other measures to counter spam. The most effective way to get rid of spam is to make the spammer’s task difficult in acquiring your email address. Read the article to know how to effectively get rid of spam mails.
Ways To Stop Email Spam
- Install spam filters. You can check with your internet service provider for spam prevention options. You can also use an email client, like Mozilla's Thunderbird, or Apple’s Mail that comes with sharp built in spam filters.
- Avoid opening an unsolicited email. The best way is to ignore the spam mail. By sending spam mails, spammers are just playing a number game. They just send millions of emails hoping that at least a third of them would be activated. Do not click on these mails, as doing so will send signals that the email account is active.
- Use multiple email addresses. Set up separate email addresses that you can use when you register for newsletters, online contests, new software etc. Avoid using primary email addresses for unofficial things.
- Do not post your email address in the contact section if you own a website. Spammers scan through web sites, and look out for @ symbol. Instead, you can use the word “at’ in your email address. This makes it a difficult task for spammers to find your email address as the software they use searches for the symbol, and not the words.
- Nothing comes free in this world; hence beware of ads offering free gifts promotion and sign in contests. Spammers use this modus operandi to copy your contact list. For every free trial software download, there are plenty that are designed to obtain your personal information.
- Do not write your email address in paper forms even when your bank or other companies request you for your address. Most companies not only send you spam but they also sell the address to other parties.