There was a time when a lost mobile was believed to have gone forever. Not so now! With the advances in technology, it is possible for anybody to track a cell phone. There are different sources that can be used to find out who is using your stolen or lost cell phone. Some of these sources include internet, directory services and hiring a private investigator. There are companies that charge to track cell phones as well, but it is possible to get this free of charge as well, provided your cell phone has a global positioning satellite (GPS) chip. You can trace a number on the internet using this chip. Read through the following lines to know how to trace the location of a cell phone, using GPS.
Tracing Mobile Phone Location
- Purchase a cell phone installed with a global positioning satellite (GPS) chip. The latest cell phones already have GPS chips installed. Such companies include Blackberry, Motorola iDEN, Boost Mobile, Windows Mobile and others.
- For other older phones, which do not have GPS chips installed, enquire form the manufacturer, whether the phone will be able to accept the chip or not. If yes, purchase the chips from cell phone stores, the manufacturer or the internet.
- After getting the GPS chip, install it into your phone carefully, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Also check with your cell phone service company whether their network has GPS capability. If not, change your service.
- Find a location-based service company that usually works with the cell phone service companies.
- Using your computer or laptop, visit the location-based service provider’s website. Log in and carefully follow the instructions to subscribe and download the software to your computer or laptop.
- Connect the cell phone to be tracked, to the computer-phone cable.
- Now, follow the instructions to load the GPS-tracking software from the computer to your cell phone. When required, activate the GPS through your phone’s menu.
- Switch on the cell phone and hand it over to the user.
- Log on to the location-service provider’s tracking website.
- Tracking your phone’s location will depend on the service provider. Some services indicate the speed with which the phone is traveling, how long it has been in one position and even the altitude. On the other hand, some services even send a text message to another cell phone, if the tracked cell phone leaves the pre-determined area.
- In case you do not want the user to know that his cell phone is being tracked, erase the message from his phone, after activating the GPS tracking service.
- Since GPS requires additional battery power, you will have to recharge the tracking cell phone more frequently.
- In case you have a cell phone with wireless internet access, you can make use of it, instead of a computer, to track the cell phone.