Cicero wrote of the Egyptian beauty in the first century BC: "Her character, which pervaded her actions in an inexplicable way when meeting people, was utterly spellbinding. The sound of her voice was sweet when she talked." Cleopatra's beauty is renowned. This proves that the woman whom Both Caesar and Marc Anthony fell in love was stunning. It is believed that Cleopatra’s beauty secret lied in bathing with milk and honey. Both the products are excellent moisturizers. Ancient Egyptians understood the importance of moisturizer and they cleaned their bodies with a paste made from natron and water, a modern day version will be baking soda with water. You can also feel like the queen of Nile, if you choose to take care of your skin properly. Markets are flooded with skincare products, and the first step towards skin care is being aware of certain ingredients that go in the products and the skin type. The more you learn the better off you will be. Ultimately, you will be able to glance at a skin care product and will be able to know whether it is harmful to your skin. There is no easy way out to choose a moisturizer, you have to simply read the ingredients and be aware of your skin type. Read further for tips to choose right moisturizer.
Image: Diana Postolachi@flickr
Choosing The Right Moisturizer
- You don’t need a cabinet full of moisturizers, pick the one that feels best, smells good, and delivers the best result for you. A good moisturizer will suit your skin type, is easy to use, does not grease on the skin, and is absorbable. It should not irritate your skin.
- The finest moisturizers are usually the simplest one. Avoid products that contain ammonia derivatives, which are harsh on skin. Look for a product that is white and clear without added FD&C dyes.
- For oily skins, avoid buying mineral waxes, mineral oils and other pore clogging ingredients. They can clog pores and trap perspiration. You can check the label and recognize petroleum based ingredients when you see the words, ethyl, butyl, methyl, propyl, eth, and PVP. So, if you have oily skin you may want to spend more to get the accurate moisturizer.
- For oily skins look for moisturizers which have silicones as ingredients in it. Often this ingredient is added to give the moisturizer a slippery and a creamy feeling. Silicones are slightly drying and hence they are good for oily skins. An oil free moisturizer where humectants take the place of oil is perfect for oily skin.
- For dry skin, it's best to choose a dry skin ointment. They may come in cream, lotion, oil, or ointment form. This is highly recommended for dry skin as it is thick and coats the skin. They trap the moisture in. A lotion or a cream moisturizer can be used.
- For skins, which are prone to acne, look for moisturizer that is oil free. It generally comes in a gel form, and are very light and do not clog the pores. Check out for terms like “non pore clogging, oil free and noncomedogenic”. It means the ingredients are proven to not clog the pores.
- For mature skin, use products that have anti-ageing properties and ingredients for lessening wrinkles, age spots and fine lines. It might contain ingredients like Vitamin A to combat wrinkles and ageing lines.
- For sensitive skin type, you should look for a moisturizer labeled hypoallergenic. These moisturizers are free of dyes, preservatives, and fragrances. When you try a moisturizer dab a small amount on the inside area of elbow or wrist. If the skin is sensitive, you will notice a reaction within few hours.
- The right time to apply moisturizer is just after your bath or shower, when the skin is wet and it can seal the moisture. Before applying, pat your skin dry and always apply moisturizer to a clean face with clean hands. One application in the morning and one in the night is enough to moisturize the skin.
- Most people do not need moisturizer on their nose. It has an extremely high concentration of oil glands that usually don’t need any extra attention. When applying moisturizer, stroke in upward movement, and do not forget about your neck area.