The regime of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing is a waste if you don’t know how to apply the products properly. Talking about moisturizer, it provides a soothing and protective film on the outer layer of our skin, thus helping it remain moist and hydrated. This is because it helps keep the water content of the skin intact. In addition, it forms a part of skin preparation, before the main makeup can be applied. In short, moisturizer is one of the most important elements needed for skin care. It is important for people of all age groups, irrespective of the skin-type. Applying it is easy and simple, if you just keep a few pointers in your mind. Here are listed some of the tips which will help you know how to apply your moisturizer properly.
Image: ...love Maegan@flickr
Tips For Applying Moisturizer
- While choosing a moisturizer, keep your skin-type in mind. Loosely, moisturizers can be divided into two categories - oil based and water based. Ask the salesperson about the one that will suit your skin best. Generally, if you have an oily skin, you should go for water-based moisturizers and if you suffer from dry skin, the best bet will be an oil-based moisturizer.
- Avoid moisturizer with fragrance and preservatives. While buying the moisturizer you should keep the climate of your area in your mind too. If the humidity is very low in your area, look for a moisturizer with glycerin, mineral oil etc. If you live in a humid area, you may well be satisfied with just a lotion.
- It is always best to go for a moisturizer that is made up of natural ingredients. At the same time, make sure that it has sunscreen and other important ingredients as well, to make your skin sooth and supple. Now after you have invested in a good brand and quality moisturizer, you need to know how to use it.
- Wash your hands and face with a mild soap or face wash. You need to apply moisturizer only when the skin is damp, to have the best effect. Immediately after you have cleansed it, apply toner. While the skin is still damp with the toner, apply the moisturizer on it.
- Take a three pea-sized blob of the moisturizer on your hand and spread it, by rubbing the palms together. If you have difficulty in making out the right amount, you can start by placing three small dabs, evenly-spaced, in the middle of your brows.
- With an upward motion of the hand, start applying the moisturizer on your face. Use firm, but gentle hand strokes and rub the moisturizer on your face. Massage in small circles, from centre and out to the cheeks. Include the eyebrows and eyelids. Put a dab on your neck too and in an upward stroke, rub to get absorbed in the skin. Use your ring finger and middle finger for massaging the lotion.
- Don’t apply moisturizer around your eyes, as the skin around the eyes is very sensitive and may become puffy because of the moisturizer.
- The time-span of at least ten minutes is necessary to allow the moisturizer to set in, before you actually jump in for makeup.
- If you want to reapply moisturizer in daytime, remove the makeup first. With the help of a clean damp cloth or wet tissue, gently remove the foundation and other makeup. After you have removed it, apply the moisturizer in the same manner as earlier. You can also splash water on your face before applying the moisturizer, for better results.