Silly putty is one of the favorite play things for kids. Basically a rubbery stuff, it can be used in a wide variety of ways. For instance, you can use it to pick up images from the cartoon section of the newspaper. You can also bounce it, stretch it, pull it and twist it, without the risk of having it acquire the said shape forever. This is because silly putty, owing to the reason that is part liquid and part solid, adopts any and every shape very easily and never gets permanently set in it. The best part of silly putty is that you can make it at home as well. In the following lines, we have listed instructions on homemade silly putty.
How To Make Your Own Homemade Silly Putty
Homemade Silly Putty With Liquid Starch
- 2 cups Glue
- 1 cup Liquid Starch
- Few drops of Food Coloring (optional)
- 1 TB water
- Wax paper
- Take a bowl and pour 2 cups of glue in it. Make sure the bowl is such that the glue doesn’t spill out. Now add one tablespoon of water to it and mix it well.
- While you are mixing slowly with one hand, add in liquid starch to the glue. Keep on stirring the mixture.
- If you want, you can add the food coloring at this point of time. after the putty is thickened you won’t get your desired color. If you want different colored putty, you could divide the contents into small bowls and then add different colors to it.
- Now keep on stirring the glue-starch mixture until it reaches the desired consistency. You may have to use your hand to knead it properly. Wear gloves and squeeze out as much water as you can from the mixture.
- If you feel that the mixture has become too sticky, you can add some liquid starch to it. Knead it with your hands, as it should become thick and dough like. Put it on the wax paper and seal it in a plastic bag.
- Your homemade silly putty is ready!
Homemade Silly Putty With Borax
- 2 cups Glue
- Mixing bowl
- food coloring
- plastic storage bag
- Pour the glue to the bowl, add a very little warm water to it, and blend the glue and warm water well.
- You could add the food coloring at this point of time too. Add few drops of food coloring to the mixture and blend it well.
- Add the borax powder slowly to the glue mixture. Stir it well. After the concoction seems to look consistent, don’t add any more borax powder.
- Now wear gloves in your hands and knead the mixture. If needed sprinkle few drops of warm water to it.
- Continue kneading until you have the desired consistency.
- Now you can either store it in plastic bag for future use or start making desired shapes from it.
- Always let the putty dry a bit, before using it.
- Make sure to store the putty in an airtight container.
- The silly putty may not work well on a humid day.