Marshmallows, undoubtedly, taste simply divine. Though of ancient origin, sweetmeats have become modern confection after continuous evolution. Any person having sweet tooth would love to pamper his taste buds with this candy, especially at campfires. Children, particularly, are very fond of marshmallows. The good news is that they can be easily made at home. Yes, homemade marshmallows taste as great as ones available in the market. You don't believe us? Then, why not try the recipe detailed in the following lines and see for yourself. Go ahead, give the recipe a thorough read and know how to make marshmallows at home.
Homemade Marsh Mallows Recipe
Ingredients (Makes 10 Ounces)
- 3 tbsp - Gelatin (unflavored)
- 1 cup - Cold Water
- 2 cups - Sugar (Granulated)
- ¾ cup - Light Corn Syrup
- ¼ tsp - Salt
- 2 tbsp - Pure Vanilla Extract
- Confectioners’ Sugar (for coating)
- As the first step, get a mixing bowl and put gelatin in it, along with cold water (½ cup). Blend the ingredients together, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let the mixer stand for at least 30 min in the bowl.
- Take a heavy saucepan and put granulated sugar in it, followed by corn syrup, salt, and water (½ cup). Now, place the saucepan on low flame and keep on stirring the mixture, until sugar gets dissolved.
- To dissolve sugar crystals, you might have to scrub down the sides of pan, using a wet pastry brush. Now, attach a candy thermometer and raise the heat to high.
- Stop stirring the syrup and let it boil, until it reaches the temperature of 244°F (firm ball stage). As soon as this happens, remove the syrup pan from flame.
- Beat the mixture constantly on medium speed, and slowly pour it into the softened gelatin bowl.
- After syrup has been added, increase the speed of mixer to high and keep on beating, until mixture turns thick and white (say about 15 minutes).
- Add vanilla to the mixture and continue beating it with the mixer. While beating, make sure to scrape the marshmallow from bowl sides and beater, with the help of a rubber spatula.
- Take a glass baking pan (8x12 inch) and dust it generously with confectioners’ sugar.
- Pour marshmallow mixture into the pan and dust it with confectioners’ sugar. Let the marshmallow stand overnight, uncovered, so that they dry out well.
- After 12-13 hours, when the mixture gets dry, tumble down the contents of the pan over a plate. Cut the marshmallow into 1-inch cubes and coat them with confectioners’ sugar once again.
- Your marshmallows are ready to be relished.
- While making the sweet confection we call marshmallows, you need to make use of a stand mixer, because they require extensive beating. At the same time, make sure to keep a watch while the beater is on its job, since the mixture has a tendency to get stacked.