Almost everyone must have had their share of painful experience with canker sores. An accidental bite in the inner lips or the inner cheeks or allergic foods result in an open sore that makes talking and eating difficult. Canker sore is non lethal and it can heal in a couple of days, but due to the pain and irritation it is necessary to adopt some remedies that can provide some relief. Unless the ulcer is very severe a trip to the clinic is not necessary. Instead, a trip to the kitchen will be more beneficial. There are plenty of remedies that can be used which are right there in your kitchen. And these home remedies come with the added benefit that they are free from any side effects and also you don’t have to spend any thing for this treatment. And they are very effective too. Unless the ulcer is healed it will continue to remind you of its presence every time you try to open your mouth. So, the faster you act, the quicker it will heal. Read below to know more on the various home remedies that can assist you in treating canker sores.
Natural Cure For Canker Sores
- Baking soda is very effective in treating canker sores. Take a glass of warm water and mix a teaspoon of baking soda in it. Use this water to rinse your mouth several times a day. It is very effective in relieving the pain. Another method is to make a baking soda paste using a little water and applying it on the sore.
- Rinse your mouth with two tablespoons of plum juice for at least 2 minutes several times a day. You can also soak a cotton ball in the juice and gently rub the sore with it for a couple of minutes.
- Applying alum to the canker sore is another effective remedy. Alum also relieves the pain though it can cause a burning sensation initially. After applying alum rinse your mouth thoroughly and use this remedy at least twice a day.
- Tea is another good remedy. It contains tannic acid that relieves the pain and also cures canker sores. Holding a tea bag against the sore for several minutes will do the trick. Make sure that the tea bag is wet.
- In a glass of water add two to three drops of tea tree oil and then rinse your mouth with it twice a day.
- Salt water is also a good option. In a glass of warm water mix a tablespoon of salt and rinse your mouth with it. Do this several times a day.
- Put a slice of raw onion on the sore for a couple of minutes. This is quite effective in getting rid of canker sores.
- You can also use sage to get rid of canker sores. Make a tea using sage and rinse your mouth with it.
- Rinsing the mouth or gurgling with coconut milk also effectively eliminates canker sores. Rinse the mouth with coconut milk after every meal.
- Use aloe vera juice as a mouth wash.
- Rinse your mouth with grape fruit juice. For this mix a few drops of grapefruit juice in a glass of water and then wash your mouth.
- Supplement the diet with lots of cool foods and papaya. Avoid tomatoes, shellfish and nuts as they are more likely to aggravate canker sores. Avoiding alcohols and cigarettes will also provide relief.