Cold sores, also called fever blisters, are caused by the herpes virus that usually lays dormant in the body. However, the virus can become active when something triggers it and then, it physically erupts in the form of cold sores. Small, red-colored blisters usually appear on the lips or outer edges of the mouth. In the beginning, they release a clear liquid and evolve into scabs in the later stages. It is generally believed that anything that affects the health of the immune system can trigger cold sores, such as cold, fever, infections etc. While there is no exact cure for cold sores, there are certain herbal and home remedies that can be tried. Read the article to know all about how to cure a cold sore.
Cold Sores Treatment
- In order to hasten the healing process, cover the cold sore with petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly helps to minimize spreading of the sore and avoid its cracking and bleeding as well.
- Apply a good quality lip balm that provides sunscreen protection, to prevent worsening of the sores. This is because many cold sores owe their outbreak to prolonged exposure to sunlight also.
- Putting cold compress or tea bags over cold sores will bring relief from pain and soothe the area. It also reduces discomfort and decreases the swelling. Tea contains tannic acid, which has natural anti-viral effects that work to alleviate the condition.
- Avoid foods that contain arginine, or are citrus. Eating foods containing lots of lysine helps in containing the sore virus from replicating. Dairy products and potatoes are two of the richest sources of lysine. Arginine sources like peas, whole grains, and chocolates are to be strictly avoided.
- Ensure that the cold sores remain clean and dry. Do not cover them with makeup, as it can only worsen the condition. In fact, concealing the sores with layers of make up is rarely effective, but does a lot of damage.
Herbal (Folk) Remedies
- Aloe vera can be of great help in soothing the sores, especially when the tingling starts. Try rubbing the fresh juice from an aloe vera plant on the affected area. Aloe also helps to begin the healing process immediately and doesn’t let the sore blossom.
- Native Americans have used the herb chaparral (Larrea tridentata) as a remedy for colds and viruses, arthritis, burns, sores and other conditions. Recently, chaparral has been used in a medical product called Larreastat, which has proven to be very effective in relieving inflammation and remedying skin conditions.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) has also shown effectiveness against cold sores. Mix a few drops of GSE with aloe or olive oil and use cotton to dab it on the sore. It is advisable to use GSE sparingly, since it is very strong.
- Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) is also a reliable herbal medicine for cold sores. German studies on the herb have established that lemon balm reduces cold sore symptoms and speeds up the healing process.
- Lomatium (Lomatium dissectum) has long been used by Native Americans to treat rashes and sores. It is advisable to use its extract, instead of a tincture, to circumvent the possibility of getting a full body rash.