Whey protein is a very high quality protein derived from cow’s milk. It is made by ultra filtering sweet dairy whey, a product obtained during cheese manufacturing. This whey is then passed through a complicated series of ceramic filters. The fat and lactose are removed from the whey to leave a concentrated whey protein in liquid suspension. Whey protein supplements a diet with a high quality protein without consuming saturated fats that frequently accompany whole foods high in protein. Whey protein powder is used in recipes to make Zone diet, low carbohydrate diet, ketogenic diet and high protein meals. Read through the following lines to know facts about whey protein.
Whey Protein Information
- Whey protein has the highest biological value (a measure of nitrogen retained for growth or maintenance) of any protein since it is absorbed, utilized and retained by the body better than other proteins.
- Whey protein is the richest source of 8 essential amino acids like methionine and cysteine.
- It is also an excellent source of glutamine and branched-chain amino acids including leucine, isoleucine and valine.
- Whey protein crosses stomach quickly and is rapidly absorbed in the intestine.
- Since it quickly provides nourishment to muscles, whey protein is often referred as a “fast protein”. Thus, it helps a person recover from a debilitating illness easily.
- Whey protein contains calcium which decreases accumulation of body fat and accelerates body weight and fat loss.
- Lactose found in whey protein is broken down into galacto-oligosaccharides that are used by intestinal bacteria which lead to better functioning of the digestive tract.
- Whey protein slows down the assimilation of carbohydrates into glucose in the blood stream thus stabilizing blood sugar and preventing diabetes.
- It helps in reducing stress and alleviating depression by slowing the production of powerful stress hormone, cortosil, and promoting the release of serotonin, a calming neurotransmitter.
- By stimulating maximum protein synthesis, whey protein builds muscles.
- It helps in increasing muscular strength and performance capacity.
- It raises the body’s levels of glutathione, powerful antioxidant produced by the body to protect body and neutralize toxins, and enhances the immune system.
- It helps in increasing the exercise capacity and fight infections.
- Since it encourages bone growth, whey protein prevents osteoporosis.
- Studies reveal that whey protein help in lowering triglycerides and cholesterol and preventing prostate cancer and chronic periodontal disease.
- By following the right nutrition and training regime, whey protein helps a person feel better and healthier.
- Whey protein contains a number of components that are found in human breast milk. Women who are unable to breastfeed their children can give infant formulas that contain whey protein to their children.
- Being rich in protein content, whey protein helps in recuperating from wounds and surgical incisions.