Having friends come over to your place for dinner is always exciting. As soon as the invitation is accepted, you come down to planning the menu. In case you are wondering about the dessert for the dinner, what about a pie? When it comes to pie recipes, nothing is more enticing than a creamy coconut one. Milk, flour, eggs, butter and vanilla essence are the key ingredients required to make the dessert, which can be served chilled as well as at room temperature. While coconut cream pie primarily uses vanilla extract as the flavoring, you may bring in variation to the recipe by using chocolate or strawberry essence as well (if you do not mind changing the rich snow white color of the dessert!). Coconut cream pie is topped with thick freshly whipped cream, which adds to the appeal and the rich creamy taste of the dessert. To know more, check out the easy coconut cream pie recipe given in the lines below.
How To Make Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup Coconut, grated
- 1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 3 cups Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- ¼ cup Whipped Cream
- Grated Cheese/ Sliced Cherries (for garnishing)
- In a bowl, mix together sugar and all purpose flour.
- Put the mixture in a saucepan and place it over medium flame, stirring constantly.
- Add salt and stir in milk to the mixture. Mix well.
- Continue stirring the mixture on medium flame, until it attains a thick and bubbly texture.
- Now, reduce the heat to simmer and cook the mixture for two more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the saucepan from flame and set it aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from whites.
- Beat the egg yolks gently, for about a minute.
- Stir in the hot flour mixture into the egg yolks and blend well.
- Transfer the mixture (now with eggs) to the saucepan and place it over medium flame. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
- Continue stirring the mixture, when it is boiling. It shall take hardly two more minutes to cook it.
- Now, turn off the heat and remove the saucepan from flame.
- Before the mixture cools down, stir in butter, coconut and vanilla essence. Keep on stirring continuously, while adding the ingredients.
- Pour the hot mixture into a 9-inch-thick pie crust, greased before hand.
- Allow the pie mixture to cool completely and come down to room temperature.
- Whip fresh cream, to make it thick and frothy.
- Transfer the whipped cream to a cone and use it to top the cooled pie.
- Decorate it with grated cheese or top it up with sliced cherries, before serving.
- If you want to serve the pie chilled, refrigerate it for a few hours. Transfer the chilled pie onto a serving dish, garnish it and serve.