Ice cream is a frozen dessert, which is normally made out of dairy products, in combination with other ingredients to make it more unique. It was once a luxury that was reserved only for special occasions, but is, in these days, it is even made at home. There are ice cream makers (machines) that have been created to help out in this respect. Vanilla, strawberry, butterscotch, black currant – the list of ice cream flavors is endless. However, one flavor that is a universal favorite is chocolate ice cream. The very mention of chocolate ice cream will set the salivary glands of many in motion. And there are so many exotic variants of chocolate ice cream, that if you are to make a choice and choose your favorite, you are sure to take ages. Chocolate ice cream was once said to be an American favorite, but has now captured the hearts (and taste buds) of billions of people. Making it is not a complicated process. The list of ingredients is not extensive and the method is quite simple. Read on to find out how to make chocolate ice cream. You can add your own ingredients or make variations in this recipe to give it your personal touch. You can also create your own variant of chocolate ice cream. Who knows it might just become the next dessert choice for gourmet meals.
How To Make Chocolate Ice Cream
- 480 ml Half and half cream
- 50 grams Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 55 grams Semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 4 Egg yolks (large)
- 100 grams White sugar (granulated)
- Vanilla bean
- Mix together the cream and the cocoa powder in a small saucepan until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the vanilla bean and place the saucepan over medium high heat until the mixture begins to foam up. Remove from heat.
- Take out the vanilla bean and remove the seeds with the back of a knife.
- Mix the seeds into the cream mixture.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and mix this until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is completely smooth.
- Take a stainless steel bowl and beat up the egg yolks with sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Pour the cocoa and cream mixture into the whipped egg yolks and keep mixing this so that there are no lumps.
- Add water to a saucepan and allow it to simmer. Once the water is simmering, place the bowl with the egg-cocoa-cream mixture over this.
- Stir the mixture continuously with a wooden spoon until it thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir for 5 minutes more.
- Pour in the vanilla extract and stir.
- Cover the bowl and let it come to room temperature.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Place the mixture into an ice cream machine and process according to the instructions by the machine’s manufacturer.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl and place in the freezer.