Facts About Marshall Islands
The Marshall Islands, officially known as the ‘Republic of the Marshall Islands’, is a Micronesian nation that is made up of atolls and islands that lie in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. These scenic islands are precisely located to the north of the Equator and just west of the 'International Date Line'. The nation of the Marshall Islands gained its independence from the United States of America on October 21, 1986 under the ‘Compact of Free Association’ . The country’s economy, however, still depends on the aid it receives from the United States of America. The history of the Islands can be traced back to the 2nd millennium BC. The Marshall Islands were then occupied by Micronesians who were noted for travelling from one island to another on canoes using traditional stick charts. Go right on ahead and read on to know more about these wonderful group of islands that the world knows and loves as the ‘Marshall Islands’.
Interesting And Fun Facts About Marshall Islands
- The Marshall Islands comprise of two archipelagic island chains of 29 atolls in Oceania. Each atoll is further made up of many small islets.
- The nation of the Marshall Islands also comprises five singled islands that lie to the north of the Pacific Ocean, just about half way between the continent of Australia and the islands of Hawaii.
- The islands experience a tropical climate characterized with its heat and humidity. The wet season, however, begins in the month of May and extends to the month of November.
- Sand islands and low coral limestone make for most of the terrain in the Marshall Islands.
- "Jepilpilin ke ejukaan" is the motto of the Marshall Islands. The motto literally translates to "Accomplishment through Joint Effort". “Forever Marshall Islands” is the name of the national anthem of the Marshall Islands.
- Majuro is the capital of the Marshall Islands. Majuro also happens to be the largest city in the Marshall Islands.
- Although the Marshall Islands is officially known as the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the nation is locally and more popularly known world over as the Marshall Islands.
- The Marshall Islands now function as a democratic presidential republic and its government is currently headed by President Jurelang Zedkaia.
- Marshallese and English make for the official languages of the Marshall Islands. The people or the natives of the country are also called Marshallese.
- The atolls that go in the making of the Marshall Islands the nation that it is, are blessed with the Flame of the Forest, different colored plumier flowers and hibiscus varieties.
- The atolls of the Marshall Islands are most famous for their papaya and coconut plantations, pandanus and breadfruit trees.
- Most tourists who visit the Marshall Islands stop first at either the capital city of Majuro or Ebeye. From here, the tourists head out to the picturesque outer islands of the Marshall Islands.
- The U.S. Dollar makes for the official currency of the Marshall Islands whose population mostly comprises of only Christians.
- It is a known fact that the Marshall Islands comprise two parallel island groups. However, only a few people are aware of the fact that the island groups are called the Ratak Chain and the Ralik Chain. The name Ratak translates to sunrise and the name Ralik translates to sunset.