The stressful life, unhealthy eating habits, adulterated food and fast food trend of today has started having a very bad effect on our health. The body part that bears most of the brunt of our irregular and detrimental eating habits is the stomach. This is the reason why these days most of the people complain of an upset stomach, be it loose motions, heaviness in stomach, acidity or indigestion, every other day. If you are one such person who is suffering from an upset stomach every now and then, stop popping pills into your mouth. Instead, make use of some home remedies and try to come back to a balanced diet. In the following lines, we have provided a number of home remedies for treating an upset stomach.
Home Remedy for Stomach Upset
- Take ½ glass of water and put ½ tsp baking soda in it. Mix well and drink. This will help you in getting relief from acidity, indigestion or heartburn. If the problem still persists, have another ½ glass after two hours.
- Banana has the ability to soothe the stomach, ease diarrhea and offset the acids that cause upset stomach. So, in case you are suffering from a stomach problem, try having a banana.
- Ginger has been found to be very effective in treating an upset stomach. You can have it in the form of ginger ale and ginger tea or even chew on a piece of candied ginger.
- Peppermint tea has been long associated with calming of the stomach muscles. So, next time you are suffering from an upset stomach, try having peppermint tea.
- If you are having an upset stomach, make sure to avoid foods that aggravate the problem. Amongst the food items that should be avoided are coffee, onions, milk, cauliflower, chocolate, fried foods and baked beans.
- Mint tea helps in soothing an upset stomach. For making mint tea, boil crushed mint leaves in water. Strain the tea and drink it.
- In case of diarrhea, take 1 tsp date paste, mixed with a little honey, three times in a day.
- Another effective home remedy for diarrhea comprises of 5-10 gm of amla powder, combined with buttermilk. This should be taken for 1-2 days.
- If heaviness in stomach is your problem, put ¼ tsp powdered cumin and ¼ tsp black pepper powder in 1 glass buttermilk. Have it two or three times a day, for 2-3 days.
- At times, stress is the reason behind an upset stomach. So, make sure to relax your body as well as your mind. Try taking a warm, relaxing bath; listening some good music or going off to sleep.