Many a times, improper or unhygienic food habits may lead to viral infections in the stomach and intestines. Medically, such an infected condition is termed as ‘Viral Gastroenteritis’. Swallowing any of the different viruses, including rotavirus, adenovirus or the norwalk virus, might initiate the problem. The infection is also communicable and sometimes develops from physical contact with an infected person and even spreads through infected utensils, food and drink. Once these viruses enter your digestive tract, they damage the linings of the various organs, thereby leading to stomach cramps, dizziness, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, chills and muscle ache. Though the symptoms sound quite hazardous, various home remedies can easily help you to get rid of the problem. Check out some easy-to-follow cure and treatment of stomach viruses here.
Home Remedy for Stomach Virus
- First, do not consume anything for a couple of hours and allow the stomach to clear up. Sip small amounts of water, apple juice or weak tea.
- After fasting for a day, introduce bland and soft food to your diet. Eat boiled rice, apples, boiled lentil broth, clear soup, etc.
- Do not consume milk, orange juice, greasy foods, tomato-based food and dairy products for a few days.
- Abstain from drinking alcohol, coffee and carbonated drinks until you recover. Start drinking lots of water and electrolyte fluids.
- Drink a solution of grapefruit seed extract (5 drops) and a glass of water. It has useful antimicrobial properties and is also an effective disinfectant.
- Drink a concoction of freshly squeezed lemon juice and water, 6-7 times a day. You can also add flat soda to the mixture.
- Drinking a glass of red or white wine after dinner is another effective solution.
- Drinking cranberry juice can do wonders to dispel stomach viruses. Consume fresh cranberry juice, without any additives.
- Stomach virus can lead to a highly fatigued body. So, do not forget to take long hours of rest.