Spider veins, or varicose veins, can be described as veins that become swollen and twisted, mainly because of weak or blocked circulation. What usually happens is that the pressure inside the veins increases to a level that exceeds the normal resistance to blood flow. This results in a small group of blood vessels, which are located near the surface of the skin, getting enlarged or dilated. The ultimate result is spider veins, which look like red or purple spider webs. The problem is usually noticed in case of legs. Spider veins are mainly noticed women of the age group of 30 to 70 years, but even men are not immune to it. In case you need some home cures and treatments, so as to get rid of varicose veins, make use of the information given below.
Home Remedies for Spider Veins
- Never ever cross you legs while sitting. Instead, always keep your legs straight.
- Exercise on a regular basis. Walking, cycling and jogging are amongst the best workouts for those prone to spider veins.
- Avoid wearing high heels as much as you can. Rather, stick to flat sandals and if possible, sneakers.
- Do not wear anything that fits too tightly on the legs. It can restrict blood flow and worsen the situation.
- Avoid standing at the same place, at a stretch, for too long. In case it is a necessity, make sure to switch your weight from leg to the other, constantly while standing.
- Wear elastic support stockings. They can help you control the problem of spider veins.
- Limit your salt intake. Excess salt is one of the major factors leading to the problem of spider veins.
- Learn yoga. Certain yogic postures have been known to bring relief from the problem.
- Studies have concluded that smokers have a higher incidence of varicose veins. So, quit the habit as soon as possible.
- Watch your weight. This is because excess body weight, especially in the abdominal area, aggravates the problem of spider veins.
- Lie flat on your back and lift your legs straight up, in the air. Now, rest them against a wall and hold the position for two minutes. It will help ease the problem.
- Place your legs on an easy chair, in such a way that they rest above the hip level. This is another good exercise for alleviating spider veins.