Muskmelon is a member of the melon species and is one of the popular fruits in the tropical countries, available mostly in the summer season. The initial instances of its cultivation have been found to date back to, as far back as, circa 2000 BC. In fact, the fruit is said to have originated in ancient Persia and Africa. Today, muskmelons are available in a large number of varieties, including skinned varieties like honeydew, and netted cultivars, known as cantaloupes. The fruit has a significantly high nutritional value, resulting in a number of health benefits to its consumers. If you also want to know the nutrition benefits of eating muskmelons, go through the information provided in the lines below.
Nutritional Value of Muskmelon
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 1 cup of muskmelons
- Vitamin A - 516 RE
- Vitamin B - 60.18 mg
- Vitamin C - 68 mg
- Niacin - 0.9 mg
- Fat - 0.4 gm
- Folic Acid - 27 mcg
- Cholesterol - 0 mg
- Sodium - 14 mg
- Magnesium - 17 mg
- Protein - 1.4 gm
- Carbohydrate - 13.4 gm
- Dietary Fiber - 1.3 gm
- Potassium - 494 mg
- Calories - 57
Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Muskmelons
- Muskmelon comprises of a significant amount of dietary fiber, making it good for those suffering form constipation.
- Since the fruit is not high in sugar or calories, it serves as a good snack for all those who are trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy body.
- The potassium present in muskmelons makes them quite helpful in the lowering of blood pressure.
- The fruit has been associated with regulating heart beat and, possibly, preventing strokes.
- Researches have suggested that muskmelons might reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and age-related bone loss.
- Being rich in Vitamin C, an antioxidant, the fruit has been believed to be good for preventing heart diseases, cancer and other chronic ailments.
- Muskmelons have been found to have sedative properties, making them beneficial for the people who are suffering from insomnia.
- The fruit has almost zero cholesterol and thus, is safe for the people who suffer from the problem of high blood cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of muskmelon juice can help treat lack of appetite, acidity, ulcer and urinary tract infections.
- Since it has high water content, the fruit can help reduce the heat in the body and thus, prevent heat-related disorders.
- The fruit proves to be a good source of vitamin A and thus, helps maintain healthy skin.
- The folic acid present in muskmelons helps create healthy fetuses (in pregnant women) and can even prevent cervical cancer and osteoporosis. It also serves as a mild antidepressant.
- If you are feeling too tired on a hot summer day, consume a muskmelon and you will find yourself refreshed and energized.