The small red blisters that appear on the lips and outer edges of the mouth are identified as fever blisters. After a few days of their appearance, a clear liquid is visible and scabs are formed at the affected part. Fever Blisters are caused by herpes virus, which can reside in the body for years without the person being aware of it, till it is triggered by something. It may outbreak over and over again and is highly contagious. There is no cure or vaccine for a fever blister, but there are many effective home remedies that can lessen their severity and frequency. Explore the article to know some useful natural treatments for fever blisters.
Natural Treatments For Fever Blisters
- Rub juice from the aloe plant on the affected area whenever you feel itching, tingling or burning sensation. The aloe gel that is available in stores also proves to be affective.
- Rubbing ice cubes at the blister for about 10 minutes, every hour, is helpful in preventing the virus movement to the skin.
- Cornstarch paste can also be applied to the affected area. Mix a tsp of cornstarch with water, enough to form a thick paste. Apply it on the affected area and rinse it off, after the paste dries.
- Take aloe or olive oil and mix a drop or two of grape seed extract to it. Mix well and dab the solution on the blister.
- Take boiling water and dip an ordinary tea bag in it. After the water cools down, apply it on the blisters. Do this on an everyday basis. The blister should disappear in a few days.
- Till the blisters have not cleared completely, drink as many cups of sage tea as possible, with a dash of powdered ginger in it.
- Use petroleum jelly to moisturize the blisters and prevent them from bleeding. Witch hazel can also be applied on sores.
- Moisten your index finger and put some common salt on it. Press the finger on the sore for a minute. Do this twice a day and continue over the next 2-3 days.
- Apply honey directly to the sore. Honey has been known for its antiviral, anti-fugal and antibiotic qualities and helps in healing the blisters.
- Apply baking soda directly to the sore. It forms an alkaline base, which prevents herps from replicating.
- Some people also consider aromatherapy to be an effective treatment for fever blisters. Essential oils, such as rose, tea tree, geranium, lemon balm and bergamot, are commonly used for aromatherapy.
- Lemon balm extract also speeds up healing of fever blisters and reduce the symptoms.
- The spirit of camphor can also be applied to the sore, for getting rid of the fever blisters.
- It is advisable to exercise all precautions while using any of these homemade remedies. Avoid using remedies you are allergic to.
- Reduce foods containing chocolates, grains, peas, peanuts and other nuts, seeds, oatmeal and whole-wheat products from your diet.
- Take care not to share your toothbrush, cups and other items, which have direct contact with the blister affected area.