Stomach virus or viral gastroenteritis is a stomach flu that can affect people of all age groups. Stomach viruses are known for disrupting the cells that line up the small intestine, thereby causing severe cramping and pain. It should not be mistaken for the regular flu or infection, because if not treated on time, stomach virus can lead to some serious health concerns. A stomach virus is caused by parasites such as cryptosporidium and giardia, and few bacteria such as E.coli, shigella and salmonella. There are many common symptoms of a stomach virus that occur within 4 to 48 hours of getting exposed to bacteria or eating a contaminated food. These symptoms generally last for 2-4 days. This article will provide you with different signs of stomach virus.
Signs & Symptoms Of Stomach Virus
- Vomiting is the most common symptom of any virus. Therefore, as a sign of stomach virus, note whether you are experiencing nausea or not. In case you are vomiting too much, chances of being infected with a stomach virus run high.
- Observe whether you are suffering from diarrhea. It is one of the common symptoms of stomach virus. If you are experiencing watery diarrhea, it can be quiet harmful for you.
- High temperature is also one of the commonly seen symptoms of stomach virus, although it is not necessary that a person infected with the ailment has rising body temperature.
- Excessive abdominal cramping is also one of the symptoms of a stomach virus. If you are experiencing abdominal pain or an upset stomach sensation, it can leave you feeling queasy and sick. In case of sharp stomach aches, it is advisable to seek immediate medical attention, as it might be something more serious.
- A headache, along with the feeling of dizziness, can also be one of the signs of stomach virus. If you are suffering from continuous headaches and complaining of dizziness every now and then, it is better to consult your doctor and get a check-up done.
- Weakness, fatigue and exhaustion are other symptoms that are seen in case of stomach virus. If you get exhausted more than usual, there is definitely something wrong with you and you might need medical intervention.
- There is no harm in drinking good amount of water, but if you feel thirsty even after consuming enough water, then chances are that you might be infected with a stomach virus, as excessive thirst is one of the common symptoms of stomach virus.
- Avoid drinking tap water and always consume bottled water or mineral water while traveling, as water-borne parasites can be one of the primary reasons for stomach virus.
- Eat properly cooked food and make sure to wash your hands properly before handling fresh food. People with sensitive stomach should also avoid uncooked fish products and undercooked meats, as these contain some amount of bacteria which can cause stomach virus.
- Develop good hygiene habits. Having good hygiene is very important for a person to stay away from any kind of viruses. Keep your nails clean and trimmed. Wash your hands thoroughly after going to the washroom. By practicing these simple measures, you can definitely reduce the risk of contracting or spreading a stomach virus.
- Any kind of food allergy like allergic reactions to seafood, shellfish, peanuts or wheat should be immediately addressed by a doctor. Consulting a doctor will not only help you follow a healthy meal chart given by him, but will also curb down any further risks.