A new tattoo can be a source of profound excitement. The sense of euphoria is so great that you are even ready to overlook the pain and discomfort involved. As far as you are concerned, once the tattoo is inked you are done. Then it’s time to bask in the admiring glances of your peers. However, have you ever considered that after getting the tattoo, it must be taken care of at least for a few days? This must be done to allow the skin to heal and prevent any infection and damage to the tattoo. In addition, when you take proper care of the tattoo you will keep it safe from fading. Thus, your tattoo will remain sharp and fresh for many years. Taking care of the tattoo is not difficult, as you only have to take few measures to ensure that the skin heals properly and the ink is settled. To know more, read the article given below on how to take care of a tattoo.
How To Take Care Of A Tattoo
- After the tattoo artist inks the tattoo, he or she will wrap it in a bandage. Keep it for 2 to 4 hours to allow the blood to clot and also to prevent the bacteria from infecting the tattoo.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and then remove the bandage. Using a soap and warm water gently wash the tattoo. Do not scrub or use a washcloth while washing the tattoo.
- After washing, pat dry the tattoo or leave it to air dry. Do not use cleaning agents like alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, as the tattoo must be kept moist while these will dry it.
- Take any anti-bacterial or anti-microbial ointment and apply a thin coat over the tattoo. You can also use other specific tattoo ointment other than petroleum jelly. Petroleum jelly will fade the color of the tattoo.
- After removing the bandage from the tattoo, do not cover it again. The tattoo must be able to ‘breathe’ to get healed faster.
- During the first week, you should wash the tattoo at least twice a day. To prevent the tattoo from drying you should use an ointment on the tattoo at least 6 times a day. Keeping the tattoo moist is necessary to prevent scabbing and peeling.
- Wash your hands before applying the ointment on the tattoo to prevent it from getting infected. Use the ointment for four to five days and then use a moisturizing lotion.
- The moisturizing lotion should be fragrance free so that it does not give rise to any irritation.
- During the first few days, the tattoo may leak ink, which you must wipe off regularly.
- While washing, use chlorine free water to prevent the tattoo from fading. Do not soak yourself in a tub or swim as the tattoo can get infected or the scabs will come off fast along with the ink.
- Also, keep yourself away from the sun for at least two weeks. After that apply a sun block over the tattoo and go out. Sunlight will fade the colors of the tattoo.
- If your tattoo itches then do not scratch it. Scratching will remove the scabs and the ink. Instead, slap the skin or use a lotion to relieve the itch.