Quail is a common term used for a range of small birds quite similar to the partridge and pheasant. Some, like the Japanese migratory quail, breed in Manchuria and spend their winters in Southern Japan. Quail farming is believed to have first been introduced to Japan by one of its emperors who truly believed to have been cured of tuberculosis by quail eggs. This resulted in the extensive farming of quail in Japan since ancient times. Japanese quail is exceptionally good both as a dish in itself as well as for its eggs. It is found that Japanese quail lay around 12 -15 eggs in every clutch. Quail farming became common in America during the late nineteenth century. Quail farming has really caught on there, as quail meet the need for both meat and eggs, both of which are considered equally nutritious. Though far smaller in size, quail eggs are more nutritious than chicken eggs. This is the reason quail farming is on a rise all over the world. Quail, like chicken, lends itself to some really mouth-watering recipes. Given here are some truly wholesome yet simple quail recipes.
Easy To Make Quail Recipes
Simple Baked Quail Recipe
- 8 Quail
- 1 cup Butter
- 1½ cup Flour
- 1 cup Water
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Rub each quail with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl put the flour, and into the flour add the quail.
- Toss well to get all the quail coated well with the flour.
- Grease the bottom of an iron skillet with butter and place the quail in the skillet.
- Pour melted butter over the quail, making sure that each quail is covered with enough butter.
- Pour water into the bottom of the skillet and place a lid on top.
- Cook at 300 degree F for about 2½ hours. Add more water while cooking, if needed.
- Serve hot.
Barbecued Texas-Style Quail
- 6 Quail
- 4 oz Butter (melted)
- 1 cup Steak Seasoning
- 1 pinch Chilli Powder
- 1 pinch Red Chilli flakes
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 6 whole Jalapenos
- 6 strips Bacon
- Butter (for basting)
- In a bowl, mix the seasoning, chilli powder, chilli flakes and garlic powder. This will make the seasoning mix.
- Rub the quail first with butter and then some seasoning mix.
- Place a jalapeno in the centre of the quail.
- Wrap a strip of bacon around the breast of the quail, securing it with a toothpick.
- Cook over an open fire or hot coals for a richer taste.
- Bast butter in between so that the quail doesn’t dry up.
Fried Quail Recipe
- 4 Quail
- Oil for deep frying
- Pepper and Salt Mix
Ingredients For the Marinade
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Sherry
- 2 slices Ginger (chopped)
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- Rub the mixture over the quail.
- Keep for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan and add enough oil so that half of each quail is dipped in it.
- Fry the quail until golden brown.
- Cut in half and serve with pepper and salt mix.
Grilled Quail With Onions
- 6 Quail
- 1 cup dry White Wine
- 1 large White Onion (chopped)
- 1 large White Onion (sliced and sautéed for the serving)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Peppercorns (cracked)
- ½ tsp Garlic (crushed)
- In a bowl, add everything except quail and sautéed onion.
- Mix well and add quail and marinate well in the mix for at least six hours.
- Remove the marinated quail and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Prepare the grill for medium high direct grilling.
- Cook the quail for 5-6 minutes on each side, then cool for 5 minutes.
- Split the quail, top with sautéed onions and serve.