You have had a party at your house and now, after all the guests have gone back after enjoying themselves, you realize that you have lots of dishes that have not been consumed completely. In other words, after the party is over, you are faced with the problem of leftover food. What to do now? Since you undertook so much effort in making the dishes, you do not want to see them being thrown away. So, the best option would be to use the leftover food in other recipes. To tell you how exactly can go about doing this, we have listed two recipes that use leftovers, in the lines below.
Easy Recipes Using Leftover Food
Pierogie Casserole (with leftover mashed potatoes)
- 8 ounces Lasagna Noodles
- 2 large Onions, diced
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 cups Mashed Potatoes, leftover
- 4 tbsp Butter
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- First of all, you need to cook the noodles. For the purpose, you will have to refer to the instructions given on the package.
- Now, place a medium skillet on flame and put the butter in it.
- After the butter turns brown, not burnt, add onions to the skillet and sauté, until they become soften and get lightly browned.
- Add cheese and mashed potatoes to the skillet and mix well. Take off the flame and set aside.
- Take a 13x9x2-inch baking dish and lightly butter it or spray it with some vegetable oil.
- Now, place a layer of noodles in the baking sheet, followed by that of the cheese-potatoes mixture.
- Spread a layer of onions over the cheese-potatoes mixture and continue to add layers, one after the other, making sure to end with a layer of noodles topped with onions.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake at 350° F, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- Your Pierogie Casserole is ready to be served!
- 2 cup Boiled Rice (leftover)
- 1 tsp Pomegranate Seeds Powder (anardana)/ Dry Mango Powder (amchur)
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 2 Green Chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 3-4 cups Flour
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander Leaves, chopped
- Place a frying pan on flame and add 1 tbsp oil to it.
- As soon as the oil becomes hot, add rice to the pan and sauté it, till it become crispy.
- Add all the other ingredients to the rice, except flour and oil, and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Now, knead dough, by adding water to the flour.
- Use some of the dough to make two equal-sized balls.
- Roll out the balls and make two equal-sized chapattis.
- Place one of the chapattis on a flat surface and place a layer of the rice on top.
- Now, cover the layered rice with the second chapatti.
- Using a rolling pin, make the chapattis flat and join them together.
- Place the frying pan (tawa) on flame and spread some oil on it.
- After the oil gets hot, place the parantha on the pan and cook it, until it turns brown.
- Turn the side of the parantha and cook it again, till brown.
- Serve hot, with butter, curd, mint chutney or pickle.
Beef Sandwiches (with leftover griller steak)
- Grilled Steak, cut into about 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Horseradish (more if desired)
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 ounces Crumbled Blue Cheese (more if desired)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil or Butter
- 1 large Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Mixed Salad Greens (optional garnish)
- 2 large Crusty Rolls
- Take a small bowl and in it, put sour cream, mustard, horseradish, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Now, stir in the blue cheese and set the bowl aside, for later use.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- After the skillet becomes hot, add oil and in it, sauté the onions, making sure to stir them all the time.
- Season the onions lightly with salt and pepper and sauté them for about 15 minutes, until they become very tender and golden.
- Turn off the heat, remove the skillet from flame and set aside.
- For making the sandwiches, you will first have to split the rolls in half.
- On the bottom-half of the roll, place one of the beef slices.
- Top the slice with onions, followed by the cream-horseradish mixture.
- Place the other half of the roll on top.
- Wrap the sandwich in a paper towel and place it in the microwave for about 45 seconds, until the meat is warm.
- Place the sandwich in a place and keep the mixed salad greens and Worcestershire sauce alongside.
- Serve immediately.