Sharing the characteristics of the cuisines of Italy, Balkans, Anatolia and the Middle East, traditional Greek food is a true delight for the taste buds. Eggplants, olive oil, cheese, lamb and pork are the key ingredients of the conventional Greek recipes, which are relished in most of the festivals celebrated by the people belonging to the country. In this article, we have given recipes for a completely traditional Greek meal, with one recipe in each category - starter, side dish, main dish and dessert. Go through the following lines and get instructions on traditional Greek food recipes.
Easy Recipes For Traditional Greek Food
Greek Salad (Starter)
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 medium Cucumbers
- 1 sliced Onion
- 1 sliced Green Pepper
- 200 grams Feta Cheese
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 tbsp White Vinegar
- 150 grams Black Olives
- Black Pepper
- Slice the tomatoes in tiny, thin quarters. Slice cucumbers in the same size.
- In a salad bowl, add cucumbers, black olives, onion, green pepper and oregano and mix them well.
- Toss them with the sliced tomatoes.
- Add olive oil, salt, pepper and white vinegar to the salad.
- Garnish the salad with grated or chopped Feta cheese and serve cold.
- 1 ½ kilos Chicken
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Potato
- 1 medium-sized Onion
- 1/2 teacup Rice
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Lemons
- Wash the chicken in running water. Marinate it with the juice of one lemon.
- After marinating the chicken for about 15 minutes, transfer it into a pot, filled with water.
- Cover the pot with a lid.
- Boil the water, containing chicken, for about 1½ hours, on medium flame.
- After the chicken gets boiled, add carrot, onion, salt and pepper.
- Continue boiling the chicken on medium flame, for few more minutes, until the chicken and the vegetables are cooked well.
- Now, add washed and strained rice to the chicken.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, on medium flame.
- After the chicken and vegetables have blended well with the rice, remove the pot from the flame.
- Serve hot.
Roast Potatoes (Side Dish)
- 12 Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 Lemons
- 2-3 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Shortening
- Olive Oil
- Chopped Garlic
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly under running water.
- Slice the washed potatoes lengthwise, into quarter pieces.
- Transfer the sliced potatoes into a deep baking pan.
- Brush the potatoes with olive oil.
- Add chicken broth and lemon juice into the pan, containing potatoes. Add water to it.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, finely chopped garlic and oregano on the potatoes.
- Slice the shortening agent into ½ inch cubes and spread them on the potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place it in the preheated oven.
- Cook the potatoes for about 40 minutes.
- When cooked, the inner portion of the potatoes should be tender, whereas the outer layer should be crisp and brown in color.
- Garnish the roasted potatoes with 1 tsp lemon juice, sprinkled over them.
Moussaka (Main Dish)
- 4 Eggplants
- ½ kilo Minced Meat
- 3 Tomatoes
- 5 teacup Olive Oil
- 2 chopped Onions
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- ½ teacup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 3 cups Bechamel Sauce
- Pour vegetable oil in a pot and sauté chopped onions in it.
- Add minced meat to onions and continue cooking for the next 10 minutes.
- After you get rid of the raw odor of the meat, add tomatoes, bay leaf, garlic clove, salt and pepper to it.
- Cook the mixture on medium flame, for about half an hour.
- Wash the eggplants and cut them into round pieces.
- Soak the sliced eggplants in salted water, for about one hour.
- Strain water out of the soaked eggplants. Now, coat them with flour and deep fry them in heated vegetable oil.
- Transfer the sliced eggplants into a pan and add salt and pepper to it.
- Add a layer of the minced meat mixture that you have already prepared.
- Add another layer of eggplants on top and repeat the above process.
- Pour the Bechamel Sauce and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on the top most layer.
- Bake the Mousakka at high, for about 25 minutes.
- Take out the mousakka and cut them into square pieces.
- Serve hot.
Ravani Cake (Dessert)
- 2 teacups Semolina
- 8 Eggs
- 1 teacup Butter
- 2 teacups Sugar
- 1 teacup Almonds, blanched and chopped
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 3 teacups Water
- 2 teacups Sugar
- ½ Lemon
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and butter.
- Beat them well and then add eggs.
- Beat the mixture well, until it becomes smooth and frothy.
- Add semolina, almonds and cinnamon to the mixture. Mix them well with a wooden spatula and make sure that they are no lumps.
- Grease a baking pan with butter.
- Transfer the mixture into the greased pan and bake it at high, for about half an hour.
- Remove the pan, with the baked cake, from the oven. Before it cools down completely, cut the cake into square pieces.
- Now, prepare syrup for the cake.
- You need to boil sugar, water & lemon juice in a pot, for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the hot syrup over the cake, when it is still lukewarm, and serve.