An intestinal infection may be caused by bacteria, virus, yeast, fungus, mold or intestinal parasites. Collectively, these organisms can be referred to as pathogens. Pathogens affect the intestine and urinary tract of the human body. Intestinal infections can be severe and may lead to a life threatening condition. However, the threat greatly depends on the type of bacteria that has caused the infection. Apart from the pathogens, poor personal hygiene and poor dietary habits account for the other reasons behind infection in the intestine. Still, bacteria-ridden food is one of the most common causes of this infection. In order to treat the problem, it is first important to diagnose it and this is where the signs of the ailment come into play. Read the article to know about the symptoms and indicators of an intestinal infection.
Signs Of Intestinal Infection
- Abdominal cramps are an indicator of intestinal infection. They are mainly caused by bacteria. These cramps may last for about 3 to 4 minutes and become severe, sometimes.
- Nausea is a very common symptom of intestinal infection. This is accompanied by an aversion to food. It is advisable to consult a doctor, if nausea and food aversion persist for long.
- The pathogens present in the intestinal tract may cause diarrhea in case of an intestinal infection. This symptom may also lead to dehydration.
- A loss of appetite is also to be seen as an indicator of intestinal infection, though it may be caused due to a variety of other reasons. It is better to see a doctor in this case, to determine the reason for your loss of appetite.
- Abdominal pain can also be caused by an intestinal infection. In fact, an abdominal pain that persists for a prolonged period of time is one of the common symptoms of the infection.
- If parasites are causing you an intestinal infection, constipation may result. Some worms are large enough to block the intestinal tract. Bowel movement is greatly restricted in case of a severe infection.
- Irritable bowel syndrome is also a sign of intestinal infection. Parasites get attached to the intestinal wall by digging into its lining. This can lead to the irritable bowel syndrome.
- Sleep disorders can also be caused in case of an intestinal infection, although they are not very common. Infection causes irritation, which can affect sound sleep. The body tries to eliminate toxins form the liver during sleep, but parasites make the task difficult for the body.
- Another symptom of intestinal infection is impairment of the immune system. All the nutrients are drawn out from the body by the presence of pathogens. Many a times, this may lead to anemia as well.
- Teeth grinding may also be caused by the pathogens and toxins present in the body. However, teeth grinding will happen only during the night.
- Intestinal yeast infection can cause depression and frequent headaches in many people.
- Skin rashes, accompanied by a burning sensation and itching on the skin, are to be seen as an indicator of intestinal infection.
- The presence of intestinal pathogens can also lead to sinusitis. Sinus, however, is not a very commonly seen symptom of intestinal infection.