An elliptical trainer is exercising equipment that has a big round wheel in front of, behind or in between two long pedals, which makes it look like a stationary bicycle without a seat. It is relatively exercise machine new in today's world of fitness craze and new-fangled exercising tools, yet it categorizes itself among those trusted equipments that actually do what they say. It has so many health benefits glued to it that many of us would completely agree that it presents the perfect way of exercising.
Elliptical trainers are low impact workout machines that build strength and endurance and limit the impact on the body, while optimizing the cardiovascular benefits, thus creating a total body workout routine. They not only help in reducing weight, by burning calories, but are also good for people with joint or back pains. Moreover an elliptical trainer requires low maintenance, as it has fewer moving parts and even comes cheaper than other exercising equipments. Read on to know more about the benefits of using an elliptical trainer.
Advantages Of Elliptical Trainers
- Calorie Burner: Elliptical trainer allows the user to burn as many calories as jogging or swimming, within the same time period, but without the risk of hurting their back knee, ankle or hips. Hence, it is the perfect tool to lose weight.
- Easy on Joints: It is the best choice for the older people as well as those who are recovering from joint injury, as it is both low impact and easy on the joints.
- Full Body Workout: When you work out on an elliptical trainer, your hands also move while gripping the handlebars, similar to skiing. Your feet are already moving in elliptical motion, just like paddling, which helps tone and build the thigh and hip muscle. In other words, the machine works on both the upper and lower part of the body simultaneously, providing making a full body workout.
- No Undue Strain: The foot pedals of an elliptical trainer work according to your pace and thus, reduce the strain to the joints. The feet never leave the pedal and adjust to the angle of the elliptical pace.
- Variety of Programs: With an elliptical trainer, the users can choose from a variety of exercising programs, like hill climbing or interval training through alternative resistance.
- Heart Control: Many elliptical trainers are equipped with wireless heart control as well, so that the user can optimize his/her workout accordingly.
- Weight Bearing Exercise: Weight bearing exercise is any activity that works the muscles and bones against gravity. In this process, the bone adapts to the impact of weight and the pull of muscle, by building more bone cells, thereby making bones stronger and denser. Strong bones cut the risk of osteoporosis later in life. Elliptical trainer provides weight bearing exercise, thereby inhibiting the onset of osteoporosis.
- Less Tiring: It offers a lower 'Perceived Rate of Exertion' when working out and tricks the body into believing that it has put in less effort, so you don’t get much tired.
- Time & Space Saving: It saves time, as it helps you burn a lot of calories in a very less time. At the same time, you get whole body workout in one go. It is space efficient as well, since it comes in smaller sizes, as compared to other exercising equipments.