If you are a newly wed, get ready to pamper your taste buds silly. Whichever place you visit, friends’ or relatives’, you are heavily treated with food. On top of that, you cannot miss even a single such occasion. You also can’t say no to the dishes that at times, outnumber even the number of people who are there to eat. While your dadis, nanis, chhachis or massis are all waiting to see whether you liked the food or not, it will be unfair to say ‘I am on diet and I can’t have it’. However, feasting on a myriad variety of food in a short span of time can make you suffer from some serious indigestion. Acidity, heartburn, and gas problems are all considered to come under the umbrella of indigestion. In this article, we will help you explore various causes of indigestion’ along with some home cures to treat it.
Before learning about the cures, know what are the factors that cause indigestion. Now, prevention is always better than cure, isn’t it!
- Overindulgence on food
- Eating without chewing
- Lack of exercise
- Food allergies
- Uncooked food
Natural Remedies To Treat Indigestion
- Take a glass of pineapple juice after every meal, as pineapple aids digestion.
- Take a mix of 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp ginger juice and 1 tbsp honey in a glass of lukewarm water, to cure indigestion.
- An orange a day can keep indigestion away.
- Grapes also help preventing indigestion.
- A glass of warm lemon juice before meal can help prevent acid indigestion.
- Mix baking soda and water in equal parts and consume it. This can provide an easy relief from indigestion.
- Mix a teaspoon of roasted cumin seeds in water and drink it.
- Mix one teaspoon of coriander leaves juice with a pinch of salt. Have this twice a day.
- You can have half a teaspoon of aniseed everyday, to cure indigestion.
- Take a teaspoon of ajwain (Bishop’s weed) with a pinch of rock salt to get immediate relief from indigestion.
- Add one or two teaspoons of coriander leaves’ juice to a cup of buttermilk and drink it.
- A tablespoon of cinnamon water one hour after every meal can help relieve flatulence and indigestion.
- Chewing on a fresh ginger piece, along with a little salt, can help prevent indigestion.
- Grind together coriander, ginger, cardamom, and clove and eat ½ tsp of the mixture, as a cure for indigestion.
- Ginger-tea offers a great relief from heartburn.
- Peppermint also provides good relief from indigestion.
- Yoga can be helpful in curing indigestion. Try to indulge in asana like ardhmatsyasana, sarvangasana, uttanpadasana, pavanmuktasana, vajrasana, yogamudra, bhujangasana, shalabhasana and shavasana.
- Yogic kriyas like jalnati and kunjal and pranayamas like kapalbhati, anulomaviloma and ujjai have proven their mettle in curing indigestion.
- Keeping an ice pack over the stomach for half an hour can prove really beneficial.
- A daily cold friction bath or taking bath with hot and cold water alternatively can give some relief as well.