Did you know that when a baby is born, his/her skin is softer and smoother than it would ever be in the future? As such, the soft skin of the babies is more prone to rashes and inflammation. Diaper rash is one of the common complaints of all new mothers. No matter how diligent you are, your baby manages to develop a rash from time to time. Diaper rashes are mostly seen on the genitals, buttocks and in the skin folds of the thighs. While wetness is the main cause for the rashes to occur, sometimes chemical sensitivity, change in the food pattern or even infection can be the dominant reasons. However, there is no need to panic, as there are means for treating the diaper rash effectively. In the following lines, we have provided tips on how to treat diaper rash.
Treating Diaper Rashes
- Diaper rashes are common amongst babies. An effective way to treat diaper rash would be to wash the affected area regularly. Instead of wiping it with a wet cloth, it is advisable to use a bulb syringe. This would help clean the area, without causing any further rash. Wiping involves rubbing of the area, which might lead to worsening of the rash.
- Let the baby’s bottom breathe. Rashes are mostly seen in babies who are always draped in a diaper. Leave the diaper off for a while, with no diaper cream on. A good way to do it would be by putting a soft towel underneath the baby’s bottom. Regular air passage would allow healing of the rash.
- Another method to treat the diaper rash would involve applying diaper cream on the affected area. There are many types of creams available in the market, right from the everyday ointment to the thicker creams. Use one that serves your purpose and keeps your little one smiling.
- Make sure to check your baby’s diaper after every hour. This would help prevent occurrence of rashes.
- Change the diaper as soon as it gets wet or soiled. In case of newborns, you should change the diaper after every two hours.
- It is very important to clean your baby's bottom at each diaper change. Use clean warm water for the purpose.
- Make sure that your little one’s skin is dry, before putting on a clean diaper.
- Do not use plastic pants, as they are likely to cause rashes.
- In case you are using cloth diapers, make sure that the cloth is thoroughly clean. For this, boil the diapers for 15 minutes, after you wash them to get all the soap and germs out.
- Those who use disposable diapers need to change the brand, if their baby is developing too much of rashes. Sometimes, the chemicals used in the diapers or the fragrance of the diaper can causes rashes.
- A change in the eating pattern can also be the reason for the occurrence of rashes. Check if the rashes developed after the intake of any specific food or not.
- In case the problem persists, it is best to consult a doctor.