The best way to renovate kitchen countertops is by painting them. Many people are surprised to know that painting kitchen countertops is not at all a tedious task. The only thing that you need to take care of is the right selection of paint color and the materials used to do the painting. The latter will ensure that the paint adheres to the surface for a long time. In case you need any help in painting kitchen countertops, we are at your service. Read this article and learn how to paint kitchen countertops.
How To Paint Kitchen Counter Tops
- Choose The Paint: Oil-based paints are the most preferred, when it comes to painting kitchen countertops. This is because they harden fast. Another option comprises of acrylic, water-based paints.
- Choose Color & Design: The color for your kitchen countertops should complement the walls. While selecting the design, you may stick to either flat solid finish or go for faux designs that mimic marble or granite. At the same time, make sure that it goes with the overall décor of the kitchen.
- Clean The Counters: Remove everything from the counter surface before you start painting and give it a thorough cleaning. Paint will not stick to the countertop unless it is free from dirt and oil.
- Apply Sandpaper: After the cleaning process, it is the time to make the countertops ready for painting. Sanding will serve the purpose. Use a medium-grained sandpaper.
- Apply Primer: Before applying paint to the kitchen countertops, it is important to apply primer. Apply a single coat of primer and allow it to dry completely.
- Apply Paint: After the primer gets dried completely, apply the first coat of paint. You may use either a synthetic brush or a foam brush for the task. We suggest you to use foam rollers because they give the most attractive finish. Apply the second coat after the first coat dries completely. Apply a third coat, only if needed.