The increasing need for freedom of movement, organizational features and working convenience within the kitchen has gained paramount importance in today’s world. People not only want to create beautiful dishes and luxurious recipes, but also crave for good dining space to enjoy their meal with their friends and family. Mere designer cabinets and racks are just not enough to create the required working space within the kitchen. The answer to all your woes and troubles is a kitchen hutch. Mostly made from hardwood, hutches provide all the space required for storing all the kitchen utensils and dinnerware, in addition to the mixing, cutting and blending appliances. Even though most of the people tend to overlook it, a hutch is one of the most important fixtures in a kitchen. It is used mainly for the purpose of storing various items associated with the kitchen, such as electrical appliances, cutlery, china dishes, and the like. There are mainly three types of hutches - buffet hutch, kitchen hutch and china hutch, each meant to solve a different purpose. While a wide variety of hutches are easily available in the market, you can make it in yourself as well, especially of the built-in variety. Whether you buy a kitchen hutch from a shop or make it yourself is a decision that will depend upon your budget as well as needs. In case you choose to follow the first option, go through the following lines and know how to build a kitchen hutch.
Making Your Own Kitchen Hutch
- Assign a corner inside the kitchen or dining room for installing the hutch. Select the area based on your convenience, so that you have ample of space to move about while working.
- Take a rectangular-shaped frame of furring strips and place it in the corner, in order to provide the framing. This forms the basis of the hutch and should be made strong and firm.
- Attach the frame to the securely to your wall studs, in order to ensure its stability as well as the safety of the things that are put on or in it.
- Now is the time to attach furring strips to the studs, horizontally, in order to serve as the shelves of the hutch. Get the shelves fixed as per your requirement and the space created by the frame of the hutch.
- Get shutters for the front of your hutch and cut them according to the latter's dimensions. Hang the shutters on the front of the hutch, with hidden hinges, and add a small knob.
- Next, you need to cut the shelves of the hutch into a triangle shape. They will fit on top of the shelf supports.
- Screw through the furring strips, into the shelves. Now, tighten them in such a way that the screws are not visible.
- This is the time to paint the interior of the hutch in a single color. Make sure to cover the back walls of the hutch as well.
- Finally, add crown molding to the exterior of the hutch and paint it in a color complementing the interior.