When summer arrives, most of you would like to renovate your homes and make it more attractive and polished. One of the least expensive options to re-do a home is painting and summer is the best time since there is ample sunlight and heat to dry things quickly. There are also times when you have to change places and move to a different house. The excitement and the anxiety die down the minute you see an awful kitchen Formica that is worn out, greasy, or with burn marks. Though you would like to replace it, the question of spending huge amounts on it dithers you. What do you do when neither can you stand it nor do you have the budget to replace it? Well, you don’t have to worry. There is an inexpensive way to come out of this trouble. Shop around for different paints, and select the one according to your liking and start the process of painting. This will not only improve the look of your Formica counter top but will also be easy on your pocket. Read the tips given below to know how to paint your Formica inexpensively and beautify your kitchen.
Tips For Painting Formica Countertops
- 1 bottle – cleaners (ammonia based)
- A clean cloth
- A dusting brush
- Painter’s tape
- 1 bottle – primer
- Foam rollers
- Paint brushes
- 1 bottle – polyurethane
- Start with cleaning the kitchen countertop using ammonia based cleaners. Wash the area nicely and allow it to dry.
- Next, use a sandpaper to lightly polish the surface of the countertops. This will help you to remove all the sticky, entrenched grease and dirt and ensure that the paint sticks suitably to the surface. After cleaning it with sandpaper, thoroughly wipe off the remaining dust.
- Tape off the areas that you don’t want to paint with the help of a painter’s tape. This will avoid the chances of having paint splash on these areas.
- Then apply a good quality of primer over the surface. Use a foam roller for this purpose and make sure that no air bubbles are formed. Let the primer coating dry.
- After the primer dries, use sandpaper once again to scrub the surface, but very lightly. Wipe the surface to remove all the dust.
- Begin to paint the Formica on the cleaned and dried surface top. There are a variety of options available that gives different textures and effect to the surface. Ensure that you have enough cans of the same color for further requirement and touch ups.
- After applying the first coat, leave it to dry completely. Next, apply a second coat of paint to fill in the gaps if there are any left. Now, leave this second coat to dry completely. There are different types of bristle paintbrushes, which you can use for different types and texture.
- Once the paint coat is dry, apply polyurethane with a foam roller gently. Avoid making any air bubbles. You can repeat the application of paint as per your choice. Let each coat dry thoroughly before you apply the next one. Once the countertop is dry, it is ready to use.