Bread crumbs are nothing but very small pieces of bread or toast, nearly powdered, and used to coat and/or bind certain food items before frying, baking or roasting. They are used in a number of dishes to crisp them up for that extra crackle in the mouth and are easily available in most supermarkets. But why spend a buck buying them when you can easily make them at home? Fresh homemade bread crumbs are also tastier than the commercially available variety. If a recipe calls for fresh bread crumbs, you don’t have to reach for the tinned item when you can just use a mixer, small grinder or even a rolling pin to get this crumbly matter ready with no trouble and in no time. There is nothing like homemade bread crumbs to perk up the taste of the dish that you intend to make. So the next time you see some old bread in the bread box, don’t just throw it away. Put it to good use. Here’s a quick look at making that textured, heavenly coating in the simplest manner possible, along with a few recipes to put it to good use!
Bread Crumb Recipes
Basic Bread Crumbs Recipe
- Use 4 slices of day old bread (you can also use freshly made bread)
- Heat the oven to 250°C and spread these bread slices on a baking tray and bake till they are dry.
- Turn in between to uniformly dry out. Cool completely.
- Put them in a blender or food processor and process till you get the preferred evenness you want.
- Your basic bread crumb powder is ready to use.
Simple Bread Crumbs Recipe
- 1 loaf of Bread, a day old and lightly toasted
- 1 tsp coarse Salt
- ½ tsp ground Pepper
- 3 tbsp Lemon zest
- Do away with the crust from the loaf of bread and cut it into small cubes.
- Now powder the bread in a food processor until you get fine crumbs and move the contents to a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and lemon zest and mix all these ingredients well to get lemon flavored bread crumbs.
Parmesan Cheese Bread Crumbs
- 6 slices of Bread, lightly toasted
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup plain Butter, unsalted
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated well
- 2 tbsp dry Parsley
- Put the bread slices in a large zip lock plastic bag and crush it with a rolling pin.
- Open the zip lock bag and move the contents into a bowl.
- In a big pan, liquefy the butter over medium heat and add the bread crumbs along with black pepper and salt.
- Flip them lightly until the bread crumbs are well toasted. Remove the bread crumbs from heat and add the shredded parmesan cheese and parsley and mix up well.
- Bread crumbs with parmesan cheese in it helps in perking up dishes like scalloped potatoes and casseroles.
Italian Bread Crumbs Recipe
- 5 slices of Bread, lightly toasted
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp dry Parsley
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry Oregano
- ¼ tsp Onion powder
- ¼ tsp Caster Sugar
- Do away with the crust from the bread slices and chop them into small cubes.
- Put them in a mixer and add the dry oregano, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and caster sugar.
- Grind it for a few minutes until you get a fine powder.
- Deep fried fowl when made with these bread crumbs tastes splendid.