Asparagus makes way for a succulent and tender delicacy that has ruled our appetites for ages now. This highly prized spring veggie tastes great and comes packed with the goodness of many essential nutrients. Asparagus is a rich source of potassium, zinc, phosphorus, niacin and fiber and is known to cure constipation too. If you are looking for options on how to cook your asparagus, grilled asparagus can be a great turn-on for your hungry appetite. Just toss in some tender asparagus spears with your favorite herbs and grill it for a mouth-watering dish to tickle your taste buds. You can add zest to your dish by serving it with crunchy-munchy pine nuts. However, you need to be careful about not ruining its taste by over doing the spice or cooking it till it turns dry. Also, always use fresh asparagus for greater taste and richness. You may not be a pro in grilling, but following the below mentioned tips on how to grill asparagus is sure to win you oodles of appreciation. So what are you waiting for? Just don your apron and get grilling. Here are two interesting variations on how to grill your asparagus, tastefully.
How To Cook Asparagus
- Take fresh asparagus, clean it thoroughly by holding it under water. Shake off the excess water and remove the hard, white end tails of it.
- If you like to have grilled asparagus, remember to choose large, thick spears of asparagus, as the smaller ones are likely to get delicate after a few minutes of heat. Overcooked asparagus is something you wouldn’t like, if grilled asparagus is what you are looking for.
- On a microwave bowl, melt four tablespoons of butter. You can also use olive oil, instead of butter.
- Arrange the asparagus on the bowl and season it with salt, pepper and your favorite herbs and spices.
- Mix well and see that the asparagus is well coated with the mixture. Marinate it for thirty minutes for better taste and flavor.
- Using tongs, shift the asparagus spears onto the grill. Take care not to place it directly over heat, since it can burn your food. Asparagus has a tendency to roll around and slip through cracks, so be careful.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, until the asparagus is done.
- Remove from heat and cool. Serve.
Steam Asparagus On The Grill
- Spread out a tin foil on the countertop and grease it well with butter or olive oil, as per your taste.
- Wash and clean the asparagus thoroughly. Shake off the water and place it on a chopping board. Cut down two inches of the spear from the bottom, taking care to remove the white, hard ends.
- Lay the asparagus over the greased foil and sprinkle salt and pepper over it. You can also add zest to the asparagus with your favorite spice. Or you can try cumin, thyme, garlic and even oregano for flavor.
- Now, take butter cubes or 2 spoonful of olive oil and sprinkle over the asparagus. Spread out evenly, if you are using butter. In case of oil, just lightly drizzle it over the asparagus.
- The next would be to neatly and gently fold the aluminum foil to firmly pack the asparagus.
- Place the aluminum foil on the grill. Take care not to place it directly over heat. Grill it for 8-10 minutes for soft asparagus. Use tongs to turn the foil side to side even while cooking.
- Remove from heat, take it out from the foil and serve hot.