Sushi is one of the delicacies hailing from the country of Japan. A popular dish worldwide, it is known for its exquisite taste and unique preparation. However, what many people do not know is that a certain set of etiquettes is required to be followed, while eating sushi. Unlike any other dish, sushi has its own set of rules and regulations, which must be complied with. Nevertheless, these rules not only make you enjoy the dish to the fullest, but in a way also appreciate the art of preparing the delectable item by the skilled chefs. In case you want to know how to eat Sushi properly, read on.
- Prior to eating, the first thing you need to do is clean your hands and face. For this, you are usually given a hot towel, ‘Oshibori’, with which you can wipe them.
- After this, you are offered a drink, which is either ‘Sake’, a type of rice wine, or Miso Soup.
- After this, Sushi arrives, accompanied by wasabi - a green paste. Thin, pink slices of ginger are placed right next to the wasabi and a small plate is set off to the side.
- Sushi is usually eaten with chopstick, but at times can be eaten by hands as well.
- With the help of the chopstick, carefully pick the sushi up. Now, dip the fish side into the wasabi sauce without letting the rice fall.
- Put it in your mouth such that your tongue touches the fish side first.
- After this, you can refresh your mouth with the help of the small ginger slices.
- In case you want to have something to drink with the sushi, you can take green tea.
- If you are having sashimi, which comprises of separate fish and rice component, dip the raw fish into soya sauce to eat, while the rice is eaten by hand.