Hot sauce, chili sauce or pepper sauce, they are all the same with the same basic ingredient ‘chilies’. As you cross from east to west, you can find umpteen types of hot sauces in different colors, flavors, and names. Whatever the name is, hot sauces have become an inevitable part of one’s dining table across the globe. The Chinese or most of the Asian countries call it the chili sauce, and it is available in the form of a thick paste, used either as a dip or for stir-frying. In the western world, especially, in the Americas it is more watery and is used in salads. The hotness of the sauce depends upon the chilies that each region uses, to make the sauce. A number of manufacturers had come up with a variety of ketchups and sauces. Since, most of the chili sauces have the same ingredients, and almost the same flavor why not try making the sauce at your home. From salads to grilled fish, a homemade sauce will be the best choice, and at least you can avoid those preservatives. Given here are two recipes of hot sauces that you can try it at home.
Homemade Hot Sauce Recipes
Given here are the recipes of making two different hot sauces at home.
Hot Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 medium chili peppers (diced)
- 2-4 habanero peppers or other small hot chili peppers (stemmed, halved and seeded)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups tomatoes (diced)
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3 teaspoons sugar
- Take a large saucepan and heat the oil in it over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic. Sprinkle the chili peppers and habanero peppers as per your taste. Cook for 8 minutes until the onions are soft and begin to change their color.
- Reduce the heat. Add tomatoes and vinegar. Sprinkle salt and sugar according to your taste. Cook it well, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to disintegrate, for about 5 minutes.
- Now, carefully transfer the tomato mixture into a blender, and blend it well into a soft puree.
- Through a fine mesh sieve, over a medium bowl, pour the pureed mixture, pushing on the solids with a wooden spoon to extract all the liquid.
- Let the sauce cool down.
Green Hot Sauce (Hot Salsa) Recipe
- 10 tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 8 Serrano chili peppers (sliced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Take a saucepan and add all the ingredients except the salt into it.
- Add water so as to cover the ingredients. Season with salt and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook until the tomatillos get softened and they attain a brownish color. This may take about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add water if necessary, so that the mixture doesn’t get burnt.
- In a blender, puree the mixture until it is smooth.
- Let it cool.