Herpes is a viral infection that is caused by the virus, herpes simplex. A highly contagious infection, it can range from being mild, moderate to even severe. There are two types of herpes - oral herpes that cause cold sores or fever blisters around the mouth and genital herpes, which causes sores below the waist. The latter is sexually transmitted and causes pain and blisters in the genital area. The blisters caused by this type of herpes are contagious in nature and can take about 2 to 4 weeks healing time. Though the active infection usually lasts for just about 3 weeks, the residual pain can last for months. Talking about remedies, there is no absolute remedy to cure herpes, except treating it the herbal way. The anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of the herbs make them an ideal resort. These herbs can either be applied topically, in the form of a cream or paste or can be consumed in the form of tea/ liquid. Given below are herbal remedies for curing herpes.
Natural Remedies For Herpes Outbreak
- Aloe Vera is one of the most effective herbal remedies for treating herpes. It not only soothes the blisters, but also keeps them moist, thereby speeding the healing process.
- For genital herpes, herbal baths act as the wonder treatment. Blend together three parts chamomile to one part each of dry oatmeal, hops, comfrey leaf, calendula and comfrey root. Tie the mixture in a cloth bag and let it float in the bath water. Have a bath with this water daily, to naturally cure herpes.
- Another effective herbal remedy for genital herpes would be to brew three tbsp of cut lemon leaves in one and a half cup of boiling water. Using cotton balls, apply this lemon balm on the sores, several times each day.
- Tea tree oil is an excellent natural remedy for treating and curing herpes. All you need to do is simply dip a drop of tea tree oil in cotton and apply it to affected areas.
- An effective treatment for herpes is by drinking a special type of herbal tea. For this, mix three parts each of nettle, oat straw, and chamomile, with one part each of St. John’s Wart, skullcap and passionflower. Now, brew four tablespoons of this mixture in one quart of water. Drink this tea several times of day.
- Another valuable herbal tea is made by mixing one part of burdock root and two parts Echinacea in three parts pau d’arco. Five tablespoons of the mixture should be brewed in one quart of water. Drink about four cups of this mixture everyday. You can even add cinnamon, orange peel, fruit, or ginger to the tea, for flavor
- Goldenseal is a natural antibiotic, which efficiently cures herpes. Make a paste by mixing one part each of goldenseal, black walnut hull powder, and Echinacea root powder. Apply this paste directly to the sores. It would not only dry the sores, but also speed up the healing process.
- Avoid touching the sores, this would only aggravate the problem.
- No sex should be carried out when a person shows even the first onset of symptoms.
- It is must to regularly wash the hands, especially your finger nails.
- Make sure that the lesions are clean and dry. Sprinkling some cornstarch in your underwear, to help the area stay dry, would be an effective step.
- Those affected with herpes should go for cotton or natural fiber clothes that are loose and comfortable.
- Make sure you drink a lot of water.