Castillo De San Marcos is just the right monument for people who wish to have a taste of Spanish colonial fortification. It is one of the oldest masonry forts in the continental United States and has been very well preserved. Located in the city of St. Augustine, Castillo De San Marcos is listed as a monument of national pride. The monument reflects a history which is centuries old. It was basically constructed by Spanish to protect the city of St. Augustine, from encroaching British colonies. A national heritage site, Castillo De San Marcos took 23 years to complete the construction of the structure. Today, it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in United States. Look out for some interesting and fun facts about Castillo De San Marcos.
Interesting & Fun Facts about Castillo De San Marcos
- Castillo de San Marcos is a fort built by the Spanish, in the city of St. Augustine, Florida, United States.
- In 1924, Castillo De San Marcos was declared a National Monument and nine years later, it was transferred to the National Park Service.
- The name of Castillo De San Marcos was changed to 'Fort Marion', when St. Augustine city was handed over to the United States for the first time.
- It was in 1942 that 'Fort Marion' was renamed 'Castillo de San Marcos', in honor of the fort's Spanish heritage.
- As a property of the National Park Service, the National Monument was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, on October 15, 1966.
- In 1975, Castillo de San Marcos was designated a Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- The fort was originally built (1672-1695) by the Spanish to protect Saint Augustine, the first permanent settlement by Europeans in the continental United States (established in 1565) and for many years, it served as the northernmost outpost of Spain's vast New World Empire.
- Castillo de San Marcos has guarded St. Augustine for over 300 years.
- The Castillo is a masonry star fort made of a stone called "coquina", literally "little shells", made of ancient shells that were bonded together to form a type of stone, similar to limestone.
- Construction work on lasted Castillo de San Marcos was started in 1672 and lasted twenty-three years, coming to an end in 1695.
- The Castillo had been under the command of four different countries, but it was never ever taken by military force.
- Castillo de San Marcos is open to the public from 8:45 am to 5:15 pm every day of the year, except December 25.
- Castillo de San Marcos is the only extant 17th century fort in North America.
- Castillo de San Marcos is spread over an area of approximately 20.5 acres.
- Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose, or Fort Mose, a part of the outer defenses of St. Augustine, was the first free black settlement in North America.