Your friends are coming for lunch and you are clueless as to which new recipe to make for them. What about baked beans? A delicious recipe, it is easy to prepare and not too expensive as well. The beans, mainly Navy Beans, are stewed in sauce, which usually includes large amounts of tomato ketchup. Though considered to be a main dish, baked beans are now being used in conjunction with other foods also, such as filler inside sausages, side dish with bacon or pizza topping. In the following lines, we have described a yummy recipe for making baked beans. Go through it and find instructions for preparing the dish at your place.
How To Make Baked Beans
- 900g Navy Beans
- 1 large Onion
- ½ package Bacon
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Molasses
- 1½ tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1½ -2 cups Ketchup
- 1 cup Maple Syrup
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Wooden/ Metal Spoon
- Crock Pot
- Large Pot, with lid
- First of all, you need to put the beans in a large pot and add enough water to cover them. Let the beans soak overnight.
- In the morning, place the pot, covered with a lid, on flame and bring the water to a boil.
- After the water comes to a rolling boil, turn off the flame and remove the pot from the stove.
- Let the beans sit aside, for around one hour. Called “quick soak”, this method helps soften the beans and allows them to cook faster.
- Now, place the pot on flame again and bring the water to boil once more.
- After the water starts boiling, reduce the heat. Let the beans boil in this way for 1½ hours or until they “pop” (skin breaks open).
- In the meantime, dice the onion and cut bacon into medium sized cubes. Put them in a bowl and refrigerate.
- Once the beans are done, remove the pot from flame. Drain water from the beans and take them out, in a large crock pot.
- Add onions, bacon, brown sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, molasses and syrup to the beans and stir well with a spoon.
- Finally, add 1½ cups ketchup to the beans and mix well. Taste and, if you want, add another ½ cup of ketchup. Stir well.
- Cover the crock pot with a lid and place it on the stove, setting it to “low” heat. Cook the beans for another 1½ hours.
- Serve hot.